Office of the Registrar


Congratulations, Oberlin student: You have worked hard to get to this next step in your academic career. We are proud of your accomplishments.

Preparing for Graduation

As your time at Oberlin comes to an end, we want to make certain that you follow the next steps to ensure that you have everything in order to receive your diploma. Review the guide to graduation, from applying to receiving your diploma. This guide has important information and action items that should be completed prior to graduation. 


Awarding degrees is dependent upon successful completion of all requirements. Check your degree audit to confirm you have completed (or will complete by the end of your selected graduation term) all requirements. You should have declared all of your majors and minors before applying, but if you unexpectedly need to make a change, do not let that delay your application to graduate. You can still submit a graduation application with pending declarations.

Check Degree Works and your unofficial transcript 

Degree Works will tell you which institutional and major requirements you have met and which ones you have not met.

If your requirements in Degree Works are marked as complete or in-progress, including your overall total required credits, your “Degree Progress” bar will show 98% complete. This is normal and will change to 100% once you have earned grades for your in-progress courses. Please double-check that all your required credits, courses, and non-course requirements for your major, minor, and integrative concentrations are complete.

If you notice any discrepancies between what you believe to be your total number of completed courses/credits and what you see on your transcript and your degree evaluation, send an email to immediately.

Declare all majors/minors/concentrations 

The degree auditor will use whatever information is on your record to determine your graduation eligibility. If you don’t keep your information up to date, our office may determine that you are not eligible to graduate. The deadlines to declare, change or drop majors or minors can be found in on the Graduation Timeline.

If you make changes after this date, we cannot guarantee that you will be on track to receive your degree, diplomas and Commencement-related materials in time.

Transfer of Credit

If you have transfer of credit that can count toward your degree, it is imperative that you submit your transcripts to the Office of the Registrar immediately. Students must request an official transcript, in a sealed envelope, from the institution where their work was completed.

In order to apply to graduate online, the application will require that you have a minimum number of credits, therefore it is crucial that your transfer work be applied toward your degree as soon as possible.

Deadlines to submit transfer of credit are applicable. Allow several weeks’ time for the other institution to process official transcript requests and mail the transcript to our office.

You must apply to graduate so the registrar’s office knows when you intend to complete all of your degree requirements. For the 2023-2024 academic year, Oberlin College will confer degrees on December 21, 2023, and May 19, 2024. Commencement for the 2023-2024 academic year occurs on Monday, May 27, 2024.

  • December graduates must complete all of their requirements with fall semester courses.
  • May graduates must complete all of their requirements with spring semester courses.

The application opens with registration for the term and closes on the last day of add/drop.  For deadlines, please review the dates in the Graduation Timeline listed below.

  1. Log into OberView and select Apply to Graduate.
  2. Curriculum Term Selection: To determine the curriculum for graduation, select the most recent term and Press Submit.
  3. Curriculum Selection: Confirm the curriculum or program for graduation and Press Continue. If the curriculum (degree/major/minor) information listed is incorrect, contact the Registrar's Office to have it corrected. Once your curriculum information has been updated you can return to complete your application to graduate.
  4. Graduation Term Selection: Select the graduation date for the term you intend to complete your requirements and Press Continue.
  5. Diploma Name Selection: Select your current name from the drop-down box. Press Continue. You will have the option to change your name on the next screen.
  6. Diploma Name Selection: Your First, Middle (if provided), Last Name and Suffix (if provided) are indicated on this screen. This is how your name will appear on your diploma.  If you wish to make changes, you may do so now. Please note we will generally accept requests for variations of your name; for example, a middle initial instead of your full middle name, a shorter first name (Jon instead of Jonathan). We cannot list a completely different name on your diploma than what is on your academic record. Press Continue.
  7. Graduation Application Summary: Review the summary to ensure the accuracy of your information. Press the Submit Request button at the bottom of the page.
  8. Graduation Application Signature Page: The degree auditors will now review your application. A degree auditor will review your academic history and in-progress coursework.  Be sure to check your email--your degree auditor may email you with questions and updates.

Oberlin College allows students to complete their degree requirements away from campus. Students must fulfill several academic and policy requirements before completing their coursework away from campus.

College of Arts and Sciences

A student in the College of Arts and Sciences who lacks at the end of the spring semester a maximum of two courses/eight credits or at the end of the fall semester a maximum of one course/four credits required for graduation may apply in the Academic Advising Resource Center for permission to complete these courses/credits away from Oberlin.

A student who has completed at least seven semesters may apply to finish away a maximum of two courses/eight credits after either a fall or spring semester, provided all other requirements, including the residency requirement, have been met, and the courses/credits to be completed away from Oberlin are within the post-matriculation transfer of credit limit.

The work may be done at another institution or through Oberlin courses on an Enrolled Not in Residence registration. Study completed while Enrolled Not in Residence is not subject to the post-matriculation limit.

Permission to complete more than two courses/eight credits away from Oberlin will be granted only after careful consideration of educational or personal reasons by the associate dean for academic advising—as long as all other graduation requirements have been met and the total number of courses/credits transferred to Oberlin does not exceed the post-matriculation transfer-of-credit limit.

Students who wish to finish their remaining requirements away from Oberlin must submit a Finish Away application. The application can be found on the Registrar's webpage. The application can be returned to the Office of the Registrar in Carnegie 113 or sent electronically to Deadlines to apply are applicable; please review the Graduation Timeline section for more information.

College of Arts and Sciences: Finish Away Process

Finish Away Status: If a student falls within the guidelines stated above, he or she should contact the Academic Advising Resource Center to make arrangements to complete the degree through Finish Away (FINA) status. Students have one year to complete their requirements under the normal Finish Away guidelines.

Academic Leave of Absence to Finish Away: In special circumstances, a student may be allowed to complete degree requirements through an Academic Leave of Absence (ALOA). This normally involves students who have completed all required course work and wish to spend their last semester on an academic leave either at another U.S. institution or through a study abroad program. The catalog has specific details about the ALOA status.

Students in this category must complete the following steps:

  • A completed ALOA application must be submitted by the ALOA deadline (March 15 of the year before the leave). Refer to the Office of Study Away for assistance.
  • Students asking for a waiver of the last semester in residence must meet with the associate dean of academic advising to review their degree progress and remaining requirements.
  • Students must be approved for academic leave by the Off-Campus Study Committee.

Enrolled Not in Residence (ENR) Status: Permission to complete more than two courses/eight credits away from Oberlin will be granted only after careful consideration of educational or personal reasons by the associate dean for academic advising, provided all other graduation requirements have been met and the total number of courses/credits transferred to Oberlin does not exceed the post-matriculation transfer-of-credit limit.

Students must first contact the associate dean for academic advising to discuss the proposal. The completed proposal requires a description of the course, faculty approval, and departmental approval if appropriate. Final approval must take place before the beginning of the semester in which ENR is to occur.

When a program is approved, the Office of the Registrar is notified and bills the student and enrolls the student in the course(s). This must be completed by the end of the enrollment period for the semester the student wishes to be on ENR.

Important Reminders:

  1. You must be eligible to transfer all credits while on Finish Away without exceeding the transfer limit. For more information, refer to the Transfer of Credit section of the catalog.
  2. Credits taken at another institution are transfer credits subject to the normal transfer of credit fee; if you elect to do outstanding credits through Oberlin on an Enrolled Not In Residence basis (ENR), then you pay Oberlin’s current tuition rate for each ENR credit. Check the current rate in the catalog.
  3. If you want to march at graduation, you must submit to the Academic Advising Resource Center by mid-May an official transcript or letters from your professors verifying that you have passed all courses with at least a 'C-'. Refer to the Marching at Graduation section in the catalog and carefully check to make sure that you will be eligible to participate in Commencement exercises.
Oberlin Conservatory: Finish Away Process

A Conservatory of Music student who lacks not more than eight credits and has met the residency requirement may request approval of Finish Away status from the conservatory associate dean for student academic affairs in order to complete these credits at another institution. If any of these credits are requirements for the student’s major, the major department must also approve completion of requirements for Finish Away status. 

Permission to complete more than eight credits away from Oberlin will be granted only after careful consideration of educational or personal reasons by the conservatory associate dean for student academic affairs, provided all other graduation requirements have been met and the total number of credits transferred to Oberlin does not exceed the post-matriculation transfer-of-credit limit.

Double Degree Program: Finish Away Status
Normally double-degree students complete both degrees at the same time. However, under certain circumstances, a student may request permission to finish degree requirements off campus. The double-degree student who is considering completion of the BA degree away from campus after completion of the BM should consult the finish away policies for students in the College of Arts and Sciences.

The double-degree student who is considering completion of the BM degree after completion of the BA degree should consult the finish away policies for the conservatory.

Make sure to update your permanent mailing address using the My Self-Service Profile in OberView.


Check your student account balance in OberView and make any necessary payments. Students with outstanding balances will not receive a diploma. Additionally, any requests for degree verifications or transcripts will be denied until all outstanding payments have been received.

Office of Student Accounts

If you received Federal Perkins or International loans, you must complete the appropriate exit interview. Students who have not completed their exit interview will not a receive diploma.

Loan Information for Oberlin Graduates

  December (Fall) Graduation May (Spring) Graduation
Graduation Application Opens April 10, 2023 November 13, 2023
Graduation Application Closes September 12, 2023 February 14, 2024
Deadline to Declare Major/Minor/Conc October 26, 2023 March 22, 2024
Deadline to submit Transfer of Credit October 26, 2023 March 22, 2024
Degree Conferral Date December 22, 2023 May 19, 2023


Monday, May 27, 2024 Monday, May 27, 2024

What's the difference between "graduation" and "commencement"?

Graduation is the term used when a student is awarded their degree. Students are awarded their degrees when they have met all necessary requirements. Commencement is the formal ceremony normally held after spring term. This is a celebration of your accomplishments.  

Participation in the Commencement ceremony does not necessarily constitute graduation.

Who can March in Commencement?
  • Students must be registered at Oberlin for the final semester in residence. This registration must be for all remaining course requirements for the degree(s) sought, and all non-course requirements must also be completed by the end of classes.
  • Students who have permission to finish their work away from Oberlin may participate in Commencement exercises at the end of their final semester in residence at Oberlin.
  • Students who have completed their degree requirements away from Oberlin and who have never participated in a previous commencement may also participate.
Is there a way to check the status of my application?

Yes, you may access your application for graduation at any time after submitting it for review. Go to OberView and click on View My Graduation Application.

How long will it take for my application to be approved?

The degree auditors within the Office of the Registrar will review your application to ensure that all requirements are complete or in-progress. Due to the volume of applications received and the detail required for each review, a timeframe is difficult to determine. Our goal is to complete your graduation review as quickly as possible following the receipt of your application.

How will I know that my graduation application has been approved?

You can view the status of your graduation application through DegreeWorks. DegreeWorks can be accessed through OberView

Where can I go to see my graduation requirements?

You will need to refer to your degree audit in DegreeWorks for specific requirements remaining to be met for graduation.

What if I think that DegreeWorks is incorrect? Is this the only way for me to see my academic progress towards graduation?

If your degree audit is incorrect, the most likely reason is the Office of the Registrar has not received the appropriate documentation from the department to update your missing requirements. Documentation is required for exceptions, substitutions, waivers, transfer of credit, and final grades. It is the student's responsibility to follow up with the appropriate academic department so as not to delay the awarding of your degree. 

I do not see my graduation term in the drop-down box on the Curriculum Term Selection form.

You need to be registered for at least one course in the term you intend to graduate. If you intend to complete your academic requirements while you are on Academic Leave, you will need to notify the Office of the Registrar of your intentions.

I tried to apply to graduate, but I got the following error message. “No curricula available for graduation application."

You receive this message due to one of the following reasons:

  1. A graduation application has already been submitted. Please select the "View Graduation Application" link at the bottom of this page to see if you have already submitted a Graduation Application.
  2. Sufficient eligibility requirements (i.e., minimum G.P.A and/or minimum hours) have not been met.
I tried to apply to graduate but I have a hold.

Select "View Holds" link at the bottom of the page for information regarding the hold. The Hold will have an office that is an "Originator"; please contact that office for details regarding the hold. Once the hold has been removed, you will then be able to submit a Graduation Application.

The curriculum listed is not my current curriculum (major, minor, concentration).

If the information listed is incorrect, please submit a Change of Major Form to the Registrar's Office. After the Change of Major form has been processed, the Registrar's Office will contact you, then you will be able to submit your Graduation Application with the correct curriculum information.

What if I change my major or add a minor after I have submitted the graduation application?

The Office of the Registrar will process your change of major/minor/concentration until the deadline (see Graduation Timeline) and update your application.

I changed my mind about attending commencement. How can I update my decision?

RSVPs for commencement are collected through Marching Order. The Marching Order task is available in OberView to students invited to participate in the ceremony.