Transfer of Credit

The Office of the Registrar administers the transfer of credit policy.

In the 2020-2021 academic year, Juniors will attend Oberlin in spring and summer; Sophomores will attend in fall and summer. In the semesters in which a student is not on campus, Winter Term opportunities will be offered. However, an exception will be made to allow Sophomores and Juniors to enroll in a course or courses at another institution concurrent with Winter Term (in the fall for Juniors and in the spring for Sophomores.) Any work taken at another institution must meet Oberlin College's rules for transfer of credit, including limits and type of work.  For more information, please see the transfer of credit guide below.

Because of COVID-19 disruptions, the Oberlin College curricular committees approved a temporary exception on the limits for transfer of credit. If a student failed (earned a grade of F or NE or NP) a course in the spring semester 2020 and wishes to take a course in summer 2020, 2021, or 2022 to keep on target for graduation, they will be allowed to take an additional fourth course and transfer it to Oberlin. The usual processes remain in place: prior approval for transfer credit is recommended and a fee of $15.00 per credit hour will be assessed.

Due to public health and safety, Oberlin canceled study away for the Spring 2021 semester. As an extension of this policy, students on leave in Spring 2021 will not be permitted to request transfer of credit for coursework completed at institutions outside of the United States. An exception will be made for students who live abroad and are studying in the country of their permanent residence (as reflected in My Self-Service Banner) at the time course(s) were taken. Students should request exceptions in advance of completing coursework by contacting Please click the following link to access the Spring 2021 International Transfer of Credit form.

Information such as the type of work accepted for transfer to Oberlin, transfer of credit limitations, exclusions to transfer of credit, regulations for work done in music, foreign countries or non-degree granting institutions, requesting transfer of credit, evaluation of transfer credits, and more are included in the Guide to Transfer of Credit Policies and Procedures.

Courses that apply to requirements for the degree (e.g., Curriculum Exploration; Quantitative and Formal Reasoning; Writing; and Cultural Diversity) must be completed at Oberlin College.

Work transferred to Oberlin may be counted (within the transfer of credit limitations) toward the degree but will not count toward the above requirements.

A fee applies to the transfer of credit; see the Expenses section of the current academic year catalog.

Guide to Transfer of Credit Policies and Procedures

Transfer of Credit Request Form 

Contact Information