We invite students of exceptional talent, drive, and intellectual zeal to earn degrees from both the college and the conservatory.
Why the Double Degree?
We invented it. The Double Degree Program makes the entire campus your intellectual and artistic playground, combining a thorough liberal arts education with world-class, preprofessional music training. About 40 students enter the Double Degree Program each year.
In five years or fewer, you emerge with a Bachelor of Arts, a Bachelor of Music, and a wide array of options for life after Oberlin. You’ll also benefit from our collaborative community, supportive advisors, and rich resources—from Steinways to supercomputers.
Whether your majors are complementary, or couldn’t be more distinct, your capacity for intense focus and imagination will flourish.
Some double-degree students in recent years have studied:
- piano performance and history
- viola and comparative literature
- law and society and jazz saxophone performance
- piano performance, vocal accompanying, and politics
- neuroscience and piano
- piano performance and visual art
- composition and computer science
- self-designed major in jazz and classical trumpet and economics
- violin and environmental studies
- trumpet and computer science
Pursuing the Double Degree
Candidates wishing to pursue the double-degree option must apply separately to each division.