Many paths can lead to a career in law and public policy. Obies draw on their broad knowledge, sensitivity and adaptability that is developed through their strong liberal arts education.
Whether you are interested in culture, education, environmental policy, human rights, healthcare, or international affairs, many past and present Obies have chosen a career in law and public policy to pursue their passion and make a lasting difference in the world.
Working in the field of law or public policy, you will have the opportunity to address a wide range of complex problems and help shape the future of issues as they impact individuals, communities, and organizations on topics from business to healthcare to civil rights. Obies with an interest in applying the knowledge and skills they have developed – analytical thinking, research, persuasive writing, and more – to the real world may find that Law and Public Policy is the place for them, no matter the major.
Students with a liberal arts education are well situated to respond and influence a range of pressing issue areas, including:
- Civil liberties and rights
- Cultural preservation
- Food systems and food justice
- Gender equity
- Homelessness and housing rights
- Immigrant rights
- LGBT rights
- Mental health care
- Racial justice
- Sustainability and environmental protection
Due to the interdisciplinary nature of law and public policy, there are many entry points into the field. Career paths could include the following:
- Civil litigation lawyer
- Compliance specialist
- Corporate lawyer
- Criminal lawyer
- Legal advocacy
- Legal nurse consultants
- Legislative analyst
- Patent lawyer
- Environmental lobbyist
- Grant administration
- Federal/state/municipal government
- Foreign service officer
- Intelligence officer
- International relations
- Policy analyst
- Policy research
- Idealist - Thousands of searchable listings in nonprofit, non-governmental and government agencies.
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
- Traverse Jobs - Traverse Jobs connects people with jobs that impact social change and policy across the nation.
- Public Service Careers
- Public Interest Technology Jobs
- Commonwealth Fund
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
- Lawjobs.com - Posts legal job openings for lawyers, paralegals, and legal support staff. It also includes salary information, career profiles and career advice.
- American Bar Association Career Center
Connect with alumni through Wisr, Oberlin's student-alumni networking platform. Join the Career Community for Law and Public Policy to engage with members from all over the world.
Law and Public Policy Jobs and Internships
Below is a sampling of jobs and internships currently posted for Obies. Log in to Handshake to explore all of the available opportunities in law and public policy.