Careers with Social Impact encompasses a vast range of fields, including human and social services, nonprofits, environment and sustainability, racial and social justice, and social entrepreneurship. Employment within nonprofit organizations and the public sector draw on a wide range of skill sets, so students of all majors and disciplines can go on to work as professionals in fields like environmental sustainability, social services, public humanities, and philanthropy.
Vilmarie Perez (she/her) serves as Assistant Director for Career Readiness and advisor to the Careers with Social Impact Career Community. She is also the liaison to International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), undocumented students, the Office of Disability and Access, Sophomore Opportunities and Academic Resources (SOAR), and the integrative concentrations in Peace and Conflict Studies.
Schedule an appointment with Vilmarie (Career Exploration and Development - Careers with Social Impact Advising).
- *U.S. Department of State Pathways Internship
- US Together
- **AmeriCorps VISTA Summer Associate
- *USDA Wallace-Carver Fellowship
- ASPCA Summer Internship
- Feminist Majority Foundation Internships
- *Future Leaders in Action (FLIA) Fellowships
- *ICAP's Next Generation Program
- *Leadership Longevity Fellowship
Stay Local: Cleveland Area
- Legal Aid Society of Cleveland
- Positive Education Program
- The Centers
- Migration and Refugee Services, Catholic Charities Cleveland
- Greater Cleveland Partnership
- Cleveland Foundation
- The Nord Center
- Providence House
- Cleveland Public Library
- Cleveland Metroparks
- Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA)
- Student Conservation Association
- Lake County Green
- Metro West Community Development Organization
- Journey Center for Safety and Healing
- Cuyahoga County Land Bank
- Benjamin Rose Institute on Aging
- Achievement Centers for Children
- Global Cleveland
- Red Rover Internships: Sacramento, CA
- Yoobi Marketing, Social Media, Graphic Design and Operations Internships: El Segundo, CA
- *Hansen Leadership Institute Summer Program, San Diego, CA
New York and New Jersey
- **MADRE Internship
- Partners for Justice
- Innocence Project Internships
- OutRight Action International Internships
- *Doctors Without Borders Office Internships
- CAAAV Volunteer Positions
- MinKwon Center for Community Action Volunteer and Internship Opportunities
- Pace Center Programs
- *IRCPL Undergraduate Summer Fellowship
- Comp-U-Dopt Volunteer Opportunities: Houston and Dallas, TX
- Project Horseshoe Farm Summer Internship: Greensboro, AL
- CARE USA Domestic Internship: Atlanta, GA (and Washington D.C.)
- **American Red Cross Internship
- Human Rights Campaign Internships
- *Institute for Women's Policy Research Summer Internship
- PFLAG Internship
- **URGE: Unite for Reproductive & Gender Equity Internship
- InterAction Internship
- National Peace Corps Association Internships
- Refugees International Internship
- *Michael Maggio Immigrants’ Rights Summer Fellowship
- *Sondheim Nonprofit Leadership Program
* indicates a paid opportunity
** indicates a partially paid or funding-dependent paid opportunity
*** indicates some other benefit is provided, such as housing
The following resources were compiled by Foundation List and provide a variety of job search databases related to non-profit and public sector careers.
- Foundation List – A job board specifically designed for listing opportunities within the nonprofit employment sector! Its mission is to connect foundations, organizations, associations, and educational institutions to passionate mission-minded job seekers.
- Nonprofit Career Network – Created to fill the needs of the nonprofit sector.
- Idealist – Idealist is all about connecting idealists – people who want to do good – with opportunities for action and collaboration.
- The Chronicle of Philanthropy - An independent news organization that has been serving leaders, fundraisers, grantmakers, and others involved in the philanthropic enterprise for more than 25 years.
- Green Dream Jobs – A world where human activities live in harmony with the earth’s carrying capacity.
- Work For Good – Work for Good’s mission is to help purpose-driven organizations and talented professionals connect, so together you can do the best work possible.
- NonProfitJobs.org – An online gathering place where not-for-profit employers and management personnel can meet one another.
- SocialService.com – Job site for social work, counseling, psychology, mental health, case management, EAP, volunteer management, substance abuse treatment, domestic violence, community development, youth development, child welfare, developmental disabilities and all other areas of social services.
- Social Work Career Center – Career website where social workers can search national job listings and find professional development and career resources that span across the duration of a social worker’s professional career.
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC) - Non-profit organization devoted to connecting professionals with careers at higher education and affiliated employers that have a shared mission to promote equity and inclusion, support dual-career couples and create a future shaped by diversity of thought and perspectives.
- Devex – A social enterprise, they connect and inform 700,000+ global development professionals through news, business intelligence, and funding & career opportunities.
- Council on Foundations – A nonprofit membership association of grantmaking foundations and corporations, with a mission is to promote responsible and effective philanthropy.
- Philanthropy News Digest Job Board - Philanthropy News Digest (PND) gathers philanthropy-related articles from various media outlets nationwide, and PND hosts a nonprofit job board on their website.
Additional Job Boards
- Young Nonprofit Professionals Network (YNPN) - Activates emerging leaders by connecting them with resources, people, and ideas.
- Service Year - Service Year Alliance is an organization relentlessly pursuing a bold vision - making a year of paid, full-time service - a service year - a common expectation and opportunity for all young Americans.
- Candid - The leading source of information about philanthropy worldwide. Through data, analysis, and training, it connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to succeed.
- The Bridgespan Group - Nonprofit advisor and resource for mission-driven organizations and philanthropists.
- National Council of Nonprofits - Trusted resource and advocate for America’s charitable nonprofits.
- The NonProfit Times - The leading publication for nonprofit management.
- NonProfitReady.org - Free online training in nonprofit topics
- American Educational Research Association
- MSW Online
To facilitate equitable access to career development, CED provides reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities during career advising appointments. Accommodations may be requested when scheduling an appointment or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn about accessibility resources at Oberlin, check out the Office for Disability and Access.
Careers with Social Impact Jobs & Internships
Below is a sampling of jobs and internships currently posted for Obies. Log in to Handshake to explore all of the available opportunities.