Faculty and staff members who are in active employment and are at least age 52 with a minimum of 10 years of service, are eligible to retire from the college.
You may use this Retirement Checklist if you are planning to retire from the college. To begin the retirement process, you must send a written notification of your retirement to your manager/Dean, with a copy to Human Resources. Once Human Resources receives a copy of your retirement notice, a Retirement Packet will be prepared for you.
Enrollment in Health Insurance
Employees who are eligible to retire and who were covered under one of Oberlin College’s group health plans while in active service, may enroll to continue to participate in the health plan during retirement. Employees who are eligible to retire and are eligible for our health insurance benefits may also elect to participate in the health plan upon retirement.
- All employees under 65 will be placed in the CIGNA OAPA A plan;
- retirees age 65 and over will be placed in the CIGNA Retiree Comp Plan;
- retirees under 65 whose spouse or Domestic Partner is age 65 and over, and participates in our health plan, will also be placed in the CIGNA Retiree Comp Plan.
These health insurance plans include prescription, and mental and substance abuse insurance. See "Documents" for more details.
Enrollment in Vision and Dental Insurance
To continue or elect coverage in the Vision and/or Dental plans, you must indicate your choice on the enrollment form in your Retirement Packet.
Open Enrollment Period
Each year during the Open Enrollment period in October, you may change/cancel your coverage. The change will go into effect on January 1, the following year. If you do not need to make any changes to your coverage, you would not need to complete enrollment forms during Open Enrollment. Additional information with respect to plan changes, if any, together with other information will be mailed to each retiree during Open Enrollment.
Your Dependent(s) Eligibility
Benefits coverage for you and your eligible dependents in effect at the time of retirement can continue. Covered dependent children remain on your benefits until they no longer meet eligibility requirements, usually the end of the month in which they turn 23 for vision and dental insurance, or 26 for health insurance.
Note: A retiree cannot add a dependent during retirement.
Please review the applicable sections on the Retirement Process web page for information on your Life Insurance, Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance, Long Term Care, TIAA Retirement Plan, and Dental and Vision Plans.
- Retirement Checklist
- 2017 OAPA (Plan A) - Detailed SPD
- 2018 OAPA (Plan A) - Summary of Benefits and Coverage
- 2017 Retiree Comp Plan - Detailed SPD
- Retiree Comp Plan -Summary of Benefits and Coverage
- 2018 OAPA Rider
- 2016 OAPA MA Rider
- 2016 Comp Plan Rider , 2016 Comp Plan Rider 2 and Comp Plan MA Rider
- 2018 Medical Annual Compliance Rider
- 2018 Medical Annual Certificate Rider - COMP
- 2018 Vision and Dental Costs
- Cigna Dental HMO Patient Charge Schedule
- Superior Dental Care
- 2018 Cigna Vision Summary
- 2017 CIGNA Preventive Drug List
- 2017 RAMP Cost of Coverage
- Medical Claim Form
- Faculty Pay Analysis Explanation
- Faculty Pay Analysis
Important Contacts for Retirement
Oberlin College Department of Human Resources
173 W.Lorain St.
Oberlin, OH 44074
Social Security Administration
221 West 5th St.
Lorain, OH 44052
Superior Dental Care