Department of Human Resources

Transition Resources

flowering tree in springtime

The following resources are available to employees who are retiring or transitioning out of employment with the college.

Cleveland Clinic Lifestyle EAP is available to provide personal support to you and your family. Covered lives include all employees, spouses, partners, dependents, and permanent household members.

As an employer-sponsored service, Lifestyle EAP provides confidential counseling and a broad range of services to help guide you and your family toward better health, wellness and life balance at no cost to you. The top reasons employees utilize the EAP during and after leave include stress due to medical concerns, recovery, caregiver stress, and preparing for a successful return to work. 

EAP Services include access to in-the-moment support provided 24/7 by Master’s level counselors through our 800-phone line; 6 face-to-face counseling sessions per person per occurrence; access to daily living consults related to financial and legal issues; identity theft recovery and prevention; childcare, eldercare; and much more.

Cleveland Clinic Lifestyle EAP has an easy-to-use, interactive website focused on health and wellness. Visit Lifestyle EAP and log in to ask confidential questions, access information about benefits, learn about health, wellness, and preventive strategies, and use a variety of interactive tools. You’ll find many articles on a variety of topics ranging from stress, family matters, nutrition, fitness and emotional well-being.

To reach them by phone, you may call (800) 989-3277.

To access these resources on, you will need to log in with Oberlin’s institutional account with the following:

  • Username: OC14
  • Password: lifestyleeap

Lifestyle EAP Documents

Lifestyle EAP Videos

TIAA Frequently Asked Questions

What happens to my TIAA account after I leave Oberlin College?

Oberlin College will stop making contributions to your TIAA account. You cannot contribute your own money after you have separated employment from Oberlin College. Contributions made to your account both from Oberlin College and yourself are fully vested.  

Can I exchange money among accounts if I am no longer working for Oberlin College?

Yes. If you have a Supplemental Retirement Annuity (SRA), you can exchange funds among all of the TIAA accounts. If you have a Retirement Annuity (RA), you can exchange funds among any of the TIAA variable annuity accounts available under our retirement plan.

Can I continue to contribute to my TIAA with another employer?

You can only make additional contributions if you are employed at an institution that has TIAA. If your employer does not offer TIAA, you can leave your accumulations with TIAA. You may also rollover your TIAA assets to another qualified retirement plan.

How will I be taxed if I do withdraw funds?

If you withdraw money before the age of 59 1/2, the money will be subject to a 10% federal tax, and the full amount of the withdrawal is taxed as ordinary income.

Individual Sessions with TIAA

You may make an appointment with our TIAA representative for an individual counseling session at no cost. These sessions are held on campus in Wilder Hall, Room 220. Visit to schedule your appointment.

TIAA session dates for winter/spring 2020:
  • Wednesday, January 15, 2020
  • Tuesday, February 11, 2020
  • Thursday, February 13, 2020
  • Wednesday, March 11, 2020
  • Thursday, April 23, 2020
  • Tuesday, January 14, 2020
  • Thursday, January 16, 2020
  • Wednesday, February 12, 2020
  • Tuesday, March 10, 2020
  • Thursday, March 12, 2020
  • Tuesday, April 21, 2020
  • Wednesday, April 22, 2020

More About TIAA

See Retirement Plans - TIAA for detailed plan descriptions and related documents. TIAA Newsletters provide helpful information on a range of topics.

TIAA is here to help you every step of the way. You should consider the investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses carefully before investing. If you have any questions about the products, services and benefits available to you, please call 1-800-842-2733 or visit online at

What is COBRA?

The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) gives workers and their families who lose their health benefits the right to choose to continue group health benefits provided by their group health plan for limited periods of time under certain circumstances such as voluntary or involuntary job loss, reduction in the hours worked, transition between jobs, death, divorce, and other life events. The entire monthly cost of coverage must be paid by the continuing participant(s), and the insurance may be kept up to 36 months.

What will be my last day of coverage?

Coverage will terminate on the last day of the month in which the qualifying life event takes place. Example: If you separate from the College on March 6th, coverage will continue through the last day of March, ending at midnight.

How can I elect COBRA? 

WageWorks, our COBRA administrator, will mail a COBRA Coverage Election Notice to covered individuals. This notice will include detailed information and plan alternatives. For further information, contact WageWorks at 1-866-747-0039.

Additional Resources