International Student and Scholar Services

Information for Current Students


International students and scholars are reminded of their responsibility to have registration documents with them at all times. We recommend keeping a copy of your I-94 on your person, which you can retrieve at:

To get you started, here are some quick answers to some of the most commonly asked questions by international students.

1) How do I renew the visa sticker in my passport?

Specific requirements will vary according to policies of the Embassy or Consulate at which you are applying. In general, you should expect to be asked to provide a transcript or verification of student enrollment. You can obtain this document from the Registrar’s office.  Remember, you cannot re-enter the U.S. with an expired visa, and you cannot renew your visa from within the U.S. It is possible to renew your visa in countries that are not your home country, but is it generally easiest in your home country.

2) I would like to visit Canada; do I need a visa?

Whether or not you need a visa depends upon your nationality. Read Canada’s visa requirements and application process .

3) My I-20 was lost, damaged or stolen, or I forgot my I-20, or forgot to get a signature on my I-20 when I left the country, what should I do? 

You can request a replacement I-20 by emailing us and explaining why you need a replacement. When the I-20 is ready, we will email you instructions on how to select/pay for the shipping option you would like to use. If you do not have time to request a new I-20, you should approach the border and request to be admitted with an I-515, which would require you to obtain and submit documentation of your student status within 30 days.

4) Do I need approval to work on campus?

F-1 visas permit you to accept any on-campus employment; you do not need specific approval for each position. You do, however, need to make sure that you do not work more than 20 hours per week while school is in session. On-campus work is most easily defined as work that is physically on Oberlin’s campus, and your payment also comes directly from Oberlin. For other situations, please consult us before accepting and or starting any position. 

J-1 visas also allow students to work on-campus up to 20 hours per week, but work requires prior approval. See Dean Whitson for more information.

5) How do I pay my term bill or see whether a payment has been applied to my student account?

You may pay your term bill by visiting Student Accounts. You can see whether a payment has been applied to your account by checking your student account information in PRESTO.

Related Document