International Student and Scholar Services


General Employment Information for F-1 and J-1 Students

On-Campus Employment

Students on F-1 visas are currently permitted to work on-campus without special authorization.  J-1 students are permitted to work on campus but must report that employment to the ISRC first. A social security number is required and the ISRC is available to assist in that application process. Students may not continue employment for on-campus employers after their program end date unless they have approved employment authorization to do so.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

F-1 visa students may apply for Curricular Practical Training authorization in order to be able to accept employment during their degree program that is an "integral part of an established curriculum" and which is "directly related to the student's major area of study.

Curricular Practical Training

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

F-1 visa students may apply for pre-completion or post-completion Optional Practical Training. Optional Practical Training authorization permits an F-1 student to accept employment that is "directly related to the student's major area of study."

STEM OPT: An OPT extension of 24 months is currently available for certain STEM degrees.

Optional Practical Training

Off-Campus Employment for Unforeseen Severe Economic Hardship

The severe economic hardship employment authorization benefit is intended to address situations where a financial need beyond the student's control arises, which was unforeseen at the time the student applied to the school he or she is currently attending and after all other potential employment opportunities have proven to be insufficient. Contact the ISRC for more information.

Academic Training

Academic Training is a type of employment authorization available to J-1 students that is similar to CPT and OPT for F-1 students. See the ISRC for more details.