To maintain F-1 and J-1 status, a student must:
- Register full time every semester
- Only work off campus with the proper employment benefit (OPT, CPT, or Academic Training)
- Keep your passport valid six months into the future at all times
- Report all changes in your US address, legal name, and/or visa status within 10 days of any change by emailing email@example.com
What information must be kept and reported through SEVIS
Please Note: Oberlin College must report the following for each F-1 and J-1 student:
- Enrollment and registration status
- Whether or not a student drops below a full-time course of study
- Completion of program of study
- Extension of program of study
- Change(s) in legal name(s) and/or address
- Some academic or disciplinary actions taken against the student
- Other information such as program transfers, changes in level and/or major of study, employment authorizations, reinstatement, and/or record termination date and reason
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Department of State (DOS) regulations require students in F-1 and J-1 status to complete their program of study by the expected completion date noted in their I-20 or DS-2019. If you will not be able to complete your current program by the expected completion date because of a valid academic or medical reason, you may apply for a program extension. Please contact the International Student Resource Center for information on how to apply.
Program extensions are not available after the completion date on the I-20 or DS-2019 has passed.
Valid academic reasons may include:
- the addition of a second major;
- a change in degree program;
- the need to complete remaining non-course degree requirements.
Not meeting admission requirements to a different program at Oberlin is NOT a valid academic reason to extend the immigration documents for a student in the Performance Diploma program.
Immigration documents cannot be extended for personal convenience, travel reasons, to renew driver’s licenses etc.