International Student and Scholar Services

Travel and Transportation


Before traveling outside of the United States F-1 and J-1 visa holders should make sure that their I-20 or DS-2019 has been signed within a year (six months if on OPT) of the date they will re-enter the United States and that their passport will be valid for at least six months.

Plan ahead to acquire any visas that might be required by the countries you will travel to or through.  Many of Oberlin's international students travel to or through Canada at some point during their stay at Oberlin. You can learn about the process for obtaining a visa to visit Canada.

International students may travel within the United States without obtaining special permission but should always be sure to carry their valid immigration documents.


International students often ask how they can travel to locations outside the walking distance from campus. Oberlin offers a range of transportation options for students to get around campus and wider community and to and from the airport.

Transportation and Directions

International students and scholars are reminded of their responsibility to have registration documents with them at all times. We recommend keeping a copy of your I-94 on your person, which you can retrieve at:

Be sure to check your I-94 for accuracy each time you re-enter the US, and ask ISSS for assistance any time your I-94 is not accurate or if you have difficulty obtaining your record.