Details and dates have not yet been finalized for Winter Term 2023; please check back for updates in September.
Winter Term will take place from Monday, January 2 through Wenesday, January 25, 2023.
Winter term is the perfect time to …
- Explore your interests and values by participating in on- and off-campus activities
- Grow your awareness of your specific skills, identity and purpose as they relate to possible careers
- Connect to people and opportunities that will enhance your Oberlin experience and prepare you for life after college
Winter Term internships are often hosted by alumni or other friends of Oberlin in various career fields and locations. Search and apply for Winter Term internships in Handshake beginning in mid-October; the final application deadline is Friday, November 12.
Career Exploration and Development staff can also support students with self-secured Winter Term internships by:
- Offering strategies and resources to reach out to potential employers
- Sponsoring students with self-secured internships for Winter Term credit
For students who intend to complete a Winter Term internship, there are two separate application processes to keep in mind.
Step 1: Apply to Winter Term internships
- Internships coordinated by Career Exploration and Development: Apply through Handshake by Friday, November 11 at 5:00 p.m.
- Internships coordinated on your own: Work within your and the employer’s timeline
Step 2: Register for Winter Term
The deadline to submit your registration through the Office of Winter Term website is Friday, November 18 at 5:00 p.m.* If you would like Career Exploration and Development to sponsor your internship for Winter Term credit, , please select the Career Development Center internship group project on the registration form.
* You will most likely complete the Winter Term registration form through the Office of Winter Term prior to receiving an offer. You will be able to change or add details to your project well past the deadline.
Step 3: Notify Career Exploration and Development of your final Winter Term plans
Submit the Winter Term Internship Information Form by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, December 9, 2022.
Each year, a wide variety of organizations host Oberlin student interns during Winter Term. Many internship sites are in New York, Washington D.C., and California. Past internship sites include:
- Brandt & Hochman Literary Agents, Inc.
- Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law
- Coalition for Economic Survival
- DiGa Vision
- Fiberlite Technologies
- Great Basin Outdoor School
- KJK Jewelry, Inc.
- History Colorado
- Lansner & Kubitschek
- Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- National Park Service - Center for Urban Ecology
- New York City Bar Association
- POV Digital
- Renee and Chaim Gross Foundation
- The Riverside Company
- Studio in a School
- Story Pirates
- The Studio Museum in Harlem
Employment benefits (CPT) are not available until you have completed one full academic year (two semesters) of study, and declared a major. Unfortunately, this means that you are not eligible to apply for a Winter Term internship during your first year of study. You will, however, be eligible to apply for CPT for a summer job or internship and for Winter Term internships in future years.