Winter term is the perfect time to …
- Explore your interests and values by participating in on- and off-campus activities
- Grow your awareness of your specific skills, identity and purpose as they relate to possible careers
- Connect to people and opportunities that will enhance your Oberlin experience and prepare you for life after college
Winter Term micro-internships are often hosted by alumni, parents, or other friends of Oberlin in various career fields and locations. Search and apply for Winter Term internships in Handshake beginning in mid-September; the final application deadline is Friday, October 14, 2022.
Career Exploration and Development staff can also support students with self-secured Winter Term internships by:
- Offering strategies and resources to reach out to potential employers
- Sponsoring students with self-secured internships for Winter Term credit
Whether find a Winter Term micro-internship on Handshake or on your own, Career Exploration and Development (CED) is available to sponsor you for Winter Term credit. Here are the steps to join CED's Winter Term micro-internship group project:
Step 1: Apply to Winter Term micro-internships
- Micro-internships coordinated by CED: Apply through Handshake by Friday, October 14 at 5:00 p.m. EDT.
- Micro-internships coordinated on your own: Work within your and the employer’s timeline.
- Need help finding/reaching out to potential employers? Schedule an advising appointment (Career Exploration and Development > Getting Started).
Step 2: Secure a Winter Term micro-internship
To participate in CED's Winter Term group project, students must accept a micro-internship by Friday, November 18.
Step 3: Submit your micro-internship information to CED
Once you have accepted a Winter Term micro-internship, submit the 2023 Winter Term Internship Information and Financial Assistance Application (IIFAA) form by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, November 18.
After the deadline, CED will submit your information to the Office of Winter Term, who will send you a participation agreement and emergency contact form to complete your Winter Term registration. You will not need to create your own Winter Term application prior to the registration deadline.
Students participating in CED's Winter Term micro-internship program may apply for up to $1,000 in funding to help offset internship-related expenses, such as:
- Travel to and from the internship site (airfare, bus, train, etc.)
- Daily transportation during the internship (Metro or bus pass, etc.)
- Other expenses, such as professional clothing and supplies not provided by the employer
Students with high and very high financial need (as determined by the Office of Financial Aid) will receive priority consideration for funding.
How to Apply
To apply for funding, complete the 2023 Winter Term Internship Information & Funding Assistance Application (IIFAA) by Friday, November 18 at 5:00 p.m. This is the same form you will use to sign up for the CED group project.
The IIFAA form must be completed in one sitting and requires the following information:
- Internship information (title, employer/supervisor contact information, and internship description)
- Offer letter from employer (may be an official letter or a copy of an email confirming your internship)
- Previous internship funding sources (from CED or other campus offices) and amounts
- Total funding amount requested (up to $1,000)
- Breakdown of funding amount(s) requested for each category (travel, transportation, food, meals, housing, and other)
- Statement of financial need (500 words or less)
Please be sure to give yourself plenty of time to complete the application before the deadline, as we are unable to accept late submissions.
Funding decisions will be sent via email by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 23, 2022.
Employment benefits (CPT) are not available until you have completed one full academic year (two semesters) of study, and declared a major. Unfortunately, this means that you are not eligible to apply for a Winter Term micro-internship during your first year of study. You will, however, be eligible to apply for CPT for a summer job or internship and for Winter Term micro-internships in future years.