Have you accepted a summer internship that requires you to receive college credit? We can help with that!
Oberlin students are eligible to receive one co-curricular credit for a summer internship, providing it meets certain requirements. To determine whether your internship is eligible for credit, read through the guidelines below. If you meet the guidelines, schedule an appointment (Gain experience > Credit for summer internship) after March 1.
The deadline to register for summer internship credit is Friday, May 3, 2019.
Guidelines for Summer Internship Credit
- The internship site must require credit to participate in the internship.
- Students may earn one co-curricular credit for each internship completed. The credit will be added to the student's transcript as a co-curricular credit, and will not count toward fulfillment of major or distribution requirements. A maximum of two internship credits may be applied toward graduation.
- Credit for internships must be approved by the Career Development Center. Internships must be able to fit within an academic context and completed over the summer. Not all internships will be approved for credit. The deadline to have your internship approved for Summer 2019 is Friday, May 3.
- Students must complete the registration form and waiver before the internship begins. No retroactive credit will be granted. The deadline to register for Summer 2019 is Friday, May 3.
- The administrative fee for a summer internship credit is $50, which will be charged to the student's term bill after completion of the internship.
- Students must be at the internship site a minimum of 200 hours.
- Internships will be graded on a Pass/No Pass basis.
- Internships cannot be paid.
- Students and internship supervisors must complete the Career Development Center's experiential learning assignments (learning agreement and evaluations).
Complete the following:
- Online Summer Internship Credit Registration Form.
- Submit your signed Waiver Form (.pdf) to the Career Development Center in person (Stevenson Hall - Longman Commons) or via fax: 440.775.8089.
Note: After completing the Waiver and Registration forms, you will be registered for 1 co-curricular credit. You are responsible for notifying the Career Development Center if you choose to no longer receive credit. You have until Friday, August 30, 2019 to notify the Career Development Center that you no longer want credit for the internship, or you will receive No Pass on your transcript.
Complete the following assignments on Handshake during your summer internship:
- Assignment 1: Experience Record/Learning Agreement, due within two weeks of the internship start date. (You will receive an email at the beginning of your internship with a link and instructions.)
- Assignment 2: Final Evaluation, due on the final day of the internship.
- Assignment 3: Employer Evaluation, due on the final day of the internship.
Note: If you do not submit a completed the Experience Record/Learning Agreement and Final Evaluation by the deadline, you will receive No Pass on your transcript.
Please contact the Career Development Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 440-775-8140 if you have questions.