Oberlin Conservatory offers a range of small ensembles, including jazz and piano ensembles, and various chamber music groups. Oberlin Conservatory and Double Degree Program students are expected to participate in a small ensemble.
Visit the Conservatory Policies and Procedures web page for information regarding off-campus travel and dress codes. Other information includes practice rooms, keys, and locker assignments.
Conservatory and double-degree students wishing to enroll in APST 800 Chamber Music, APST 805 Contemporary Chamber Music, or APST 810 Piano Ensemble must complete a Chamber Music Request Form. This form is due the first week of classes; generally the 2nd or 3rd day of classes! Please see Small Chamber Music Deadlines for application due dates and procedures.
In most cases, you will not be able to register during your preliminary pre-registration window as groups are still pending.
Final assignments and CRNs will be sent via email, and consent entered on OberView/Banner Self-Serve just one day prior to the add/drop deadline. Students are expected to register prior to the add/drop deadline.
Two Chamber Groups
In rare cases, some students are placed in two small chamber groups. The system will not allow online registration for two small groups, so a "Duplicate" override will be entered as consent in order to allow students to register for two different sections of the same course.
How do I find my consent and CRN #?
Contact: Kirsten Docter
An annual audition held the first week of classes during the fall semester is required for all non-jazz majors, both conservatory and arts and science students, interested in playing in Oberlin Jazz Small Ensembles.
Audition sign-up sheets and audition/placement results are posted outside Kohl Building, 200-A. Students will meet and play for faculty in a relaxed setting. Students who successfully pass the audition will be placed into the pool of students eligible to participate in small jazz ensembles.
Jazz majors are automatically placed into the pool of students who form the small jazz ensembles. Students form their own ensembles based on criteria established by the Division of Jazz Studies. Jazz majors are required to register for any participating ensemble that is required for their major.
All students who intend to participate in small jazz ensembles must attend the ensemble formation meeting at 12:15 p.m., in the Cat in the Cream Coffeehouse on the first Friday of the semester.
Groups that meet the criteria are assigned to a faculty sponsor, and receive a weekly coaching time. Students are notified by the Division of Jazz Studies of their consent just prior to the registration deadline, and must register for credit.
Two Jazz Groups
In rare cases, some students are placed in two small jazz groups. The system will not allow online registration for two small groups, so a "Duplicate" override will be entered as consent in order to allow students to register for two different sections of the same course.
Final placement results and CRNs will be posted (and/or sent via email), and consent entered on OberView prior to the add/drop deadline. Students are expected to register prior to the add/drop deadline.
How do I find my consent and CRN #?
Signups and information for Small Jazz Ensemble Auditions are available outside Kohl Bldg, 200-A.
Note: Small Jazz Ensemble auditions are only offered in the fall for non-jazz majors. Jazz majors will be assigned to groups in the spring.
Contact Julie Baker , Kohl Building, 200-A, x56633
The Oberlin Arts and Sciences Chamber Group - Small ensembles specifically geared toward college students. Auditions and placements will take place during the first week of classes. Please contact Chris Jenkins for specific date and time.
- To receive credit for small ensembles, you must register for the course for 2 credits in OberView/Banner Self-Serve.
- Students will receive and e-mail and online consent one day prior to the add/drop deadline. A faculty signature is not required. It is the student’s responsibility to register by the add/drop deadline.
- All students must register for ensemble credit in order to meet their graduation requirements (0 or 1 credit is not an option). Please contact the Office of the Associate Deans if you need an overload in order to accommodate your ensemble.
- Check the small ensemble requirements specified for your major in your Major Grids or Catalog .
- Because of the intensity of individual and group energy devoted to successful chamber music playing, the string faculty strongly suggest that you limit yourself to one group.
- Students typically are assigned to only one small ensemble per semester. In case you do commit to two groups, mark your first and second choice, as the committee cannot guarantee an assignment in a second group.
- In rare cases, some students are placed in two small ensemble groups. The system will not allow online registration for two small groups, so a "Duplicate" override will be entered as consent in order to allow students to register for two different sections of the same course.
- First-year woodwind students must register for Prima Vista fall semester. Please do not register for a small ensemble group.
- Ensembles taken for credit must be registered for and graded during the semester of participation.
- Final assignments and CRNs will be e-mailed to students at their Oberlin e-mail. Consent will be entered on OberView/PRESTO just one day prior to the add/drop deadline.
- How do I find my consent and CRN #?