Each semester, Oberlin Conservatory offers a series of programming intended to promote robust physical and mental health for students, and also to integrate social justice programming with a focus on maintaining a healthy community environment for all.
Past events have included both extended and short-term workshops and programs with visiting clinicians in Alexander Technique, mindfulness, injury prevention, yoga for musicians, and racial equity in music.
March 2021 Events
Yoga for musicians and injury prevention
Yoga for Musicians March 25: 12:00 - 1:15 pm
Learn a series of poses intended specifically to enhance mobility and tone the muscles musicians rely upon.
Yoga for Musicians: Injury Prevention March 25: 3:30 - 5:45 pm
Learn strategies for practicing that will prevent injury; particularly if you are a string player experiencing discomfort when you play, bring your instrument, and receive coaching to reduce the potential for injury.
March Mindfulness Workshops
Conductor and mindfulness practitioner John Thomas Dodson will lead three virtual mindfulness workshops on three Sundays in March 2021 to offer strategies to help you access inner calm, find ways to take meaningful action, and connect to yourself and the world.
Dodson is the founder of Blue Heron Mindfulness Living and an expert on Buddhist and Vipassana meditation.
Session 1 March 7: 10:30 am – 12:30 pm
- You might be feeling anxious about the future.
- You might be feeling lost – without familiar reference points.
- You might be feeling like you’re losing time, relationships, and skills.
How do you access inner calm regardless of circumstances?
Session 2 March 14: 2:00 – 4:00 pm
Loss of Control
- You can’t control the field, current conditions, or the future.
- You might be facing a loss of confidence about pursuing your career path.
- You might feel unmotivated without traditional goals.
How can you take meaningful action? Where can you impact your world?
Session 3 March 28: 2:00 – 4:00 pm
- You might be feeling disconnected and isolated.
- You might be unsure how to connect with people who aren’t nearby.
- You might be experiencing a deep need to perform and play.
How do you connect to yourself? How can you remake your connection to the world?