Students interested in taking secondary lessons have many questions. We have the answers.
If your faculty teacher/sponsor is not on campus to provide a signature, an email consent may be attached to the secondary lesson form to ensure consent and registration prior to the add/drop deadline. In a document or email format, faculty must specify the name of the faculty or student teacher assigned and acknowledge permission of lessons.
Please begin your effort to obtain a signature or email before the first week of classes.
Each semester, more than 300 students audition and or submit consent requests for secondary lessons. These consent forms must be processed, reviewed for teacher and credit approval, and assigned an approved student or faculty teacher. Consent is then manually entered so students can register for lessons.
Some departments submit all of their forms at one time to Bibbins 113 a few days following auditions. Please allow us 2-3 days to enter your consent once we receive your form in Bibbins 113. Thank you for your patience.
You may send an email inquiry if you have checked your registration status on OberView or PRESTO and do not have consent one day prior to the add/drop deadline. Multiple students checking in on their consent/assignment status beforehand will only slow down the process.
Many auditions take place the first week of classes and some the second week of classes. Due to the continuous flow of consents, administrators are not able to send individual emails following each consent. Administrators can only enter consent for forms that have been submitted to Bibbins 113 by either the student or faculty.
For example, if a student auditions on Tuesday during the first week of classes, but the administrator does not receive the form from the department until the second week of classes, consenting and teacher assignment is delayed. Thank you for your patience.
Consent rolls from fall to spring, but not spring to fall. All students returning fall semester will need a new form. Students who registered for secondary lessons in the fall semester will automatically be consented to continue their instruction (e.g., same instrument, same teacher) in the spring semester, and do not need to audition or complete a new form unless switching to a new instrument or teacher.
Continuing secondary lesson students will only be granted consent during the pre-registration period for spring. Students that do not preregister will lose their consent prior to add/drop to allow for new secondary students. It is important to register your lessons during preregistration.
If a student switches to a different teacher, the Office of Conservatory Associate Deans must be informed immediately, even if it is faculty approved. Registration and student pay can be affected without proper teacher specification and CRN assignment.
You have three options to consider when changing your lessons for spring semester.
- If you auditioned in the fall for lessons for credit, but were placed in non-credit lessons, then you must re-audition and resubmit a form in the spring. Please sign up on the bulletin board and take a new form with you to your audition.
- If you auditioned in the fall and were placed in lessons for credit, but took non-credit lessons because you did not have room in your schedule for 2 credit hours, then you must resubmit a form in the spring. You should not need to re-audition, but you will need to complete the audition/consent form with a faculty sponsor signature and teacher assignment. Please submit the form to the main office before the last day of the first week of classes.
- If you were consented and registered for lessons for credit in the fall, but do not have room in your schedule to take them for credit in the spring, then you will need to contact the Office of the Associate Deans to notify them of your change in status. You may continue your lessons with your student teacher, however you must pay them directly $8 per 1/2-hour lesson. See non-credit lessons for details.
From the main menu in PRESTO:
- Select “Student & Financial Aid”
- Select “Registration”
- Select “Registration Status”
- Under “Permit/Override”: View your consented classes and their CRNs
- Copy your selected CRN Number
- Go back a menu to “Add/Drop Classes”
- Paste CRN and “Submit” to add to your schedule
- Repeat process for additional consented classes
Please note that secondary lessons ending in sections (01-11) indicate faculty taught, and sections (51-99) indicate student taught lessons with faculty sponsor. Student teacher assignments will be posted the 2nd-3rd week of classes.
More questions about secondary lessons? Send email to the Conservatory Office of the Associate Deans or stop in Bibbins 113.