How can I find a summer job?
If you plan on living at home during the summer, then consider the employers in your geographic area. Students have worked in restaurants, retail stores, summer recreational programs for children, day camps, labs, offices (often as a temp), banks, lawn care, child care, and libraries. Contact these places directly and ask if they hire for the summer and how can you apply. It is likely you will not secure the job prior to summer break, but doing advance leg work can helpyou land a job more quickly once you arrive at home.
Some places to look for summer work include:
- Restaurant and Retail
- Temp Agencies
- Local Classified Ads
- Summer Camps
- Online Resources such as Handshake , LACN , and Switchboard
- Federal government jobs through USAjobs.gov
Finding an internship
When looking for an internship, focus on opportunities with the types of organizations where you may eventually like to work. The skills you learn and the resources you discover in your internship search will help you when you apply for positions after graduation. There are several different strategies you can use for finding an internship. You might:
- Look for internship listings through Handshake, LACN and NIC. You can also find opportunities through your own internet searches.
- Identify prospective employers in your field of interest and/or geographic area and check their web sites or call to inquire about internship opportunities. Vault and Glassdoor may be good resources to start.
- Network to find out about hidden opportunities.
Application deadlines for internships vary greatly. The process of searching for internships and applying takes time. Don't miss out on great opportunities by waiting too long to get started. Some of the first deadlines for summer internships are as early as December, so it's a good idea to get started looking during fall semester.
- LACN : This resource includes hundreds of summer jobs, internships, fellowships and other short-term opportunities.
- Spotlight on Careers
Off-campus? Use VPN