Music Opportunities FAQ

Oberlin Conservatory is a world leader in the education of undergraduate musicians, and we’re also an extensive resource for students in Oberlin’s College of Arts and Sciences. Every year hundreds of those students take private lessons and courses in music—and even perform in ensembles alongside their conservatory peers.

Our page dedicated to music opportunities in the College of Arts & Sciences is a great introduction to all that we offer, along with the list of frequently asked questions you’ll find below. Still have questions? We’d love to hear from you! Reach us at

When reading the below information, the term “college” is used to refer to the College of Arts & Sciences.

Majors and Minors

Is it possible for a current college student to add a music major in the Conservatory to be in the Double Degree program, and what is the timeline for doing so?

Yes, it is possible for enrolled college students to add the Bachelor of Music portion as part of the double degree program. We call this “Change of Divisional Status.” Students interested in adding the conservatory degree will need to audition for entry using the same audition and screening requirements as other Bachelor of Music applicants, and complete the Change of Divisional Status application process. Please keep in mind that acceptance into the conservatory is competitive and only a small number of college students are accepted each year. Interested students should contact the applied faculty within their chosen area soon after arriving as a college student to discuss the best way to prepare.

In nearly all cases, current college students would complete the Change of Divisional application in fall semester, audition in spring semester, and should they be accepted, enter the following year with double degree status (Ex. complete the application fall semester of their first year, audition in the following spring semester, and enter in their second year as double degree). Exceptions to this are possible, but unlikely. It is possible that you can take certain conservatory classes in your first semester as a college student. A Change of Divisional Status can be done within the first or second year enrolled and still complete both degrees within the maximum 5-year timeline. After the second year, students would require special permission to apply for the double degree program.

What does the new music minor entail? What are interdivisional minors/programs?

Oberlin’s new music minor is an opportunity for college students to learn about music in a practical way by giving them a foundation in the study of music and rigorous musical experiences. The minor consists of five courses to be taken in 3 of 5 areas: Solo Performance (which include secondary lessons), Ensemble Performance, Academic Areas, Creative Practice, and PACE & PROF areas. PACE is an acronym for Pedagogy, Advocacy, and Community Engagement, which is a department that houses classes related to music education. PROF is the course code for for classes in the Professional Development department within the Conservatory. Learn more about the music minor in the online course catalog.

In addition to the music minor for college students described above, both college and conservatory students may elect to pursue one or more of the new interdivisional programs. These include minors in African American Music, Arts and Creative Technologies, Interdisciplinary Performance, Music and Cognition, Music and Popular Culture, and an integrative concentration in Arts Administration and Leadership. While the music minor focuses solely on coursework within the conservatory, the interdivisional programs utilize coursework and opportunities within both the college and conservatory as they relate to the specific program. Learn more about the interdivisional programs on our website here.

Is it possible to double minor?

Yes, students can double minor, either with both minors within the college or by adding the music minor through the conservatory to another college minor. See a list of all college minors.

Is music theory a part of the Musical Studies major?

Yes. Music theory and aural skills courses are required for the Musical Studies major. Placement exams happen at the beginning of the school year in the fall. See more on the Musical Studies major.

What are some study abroad opportunities for Musical Studies majors in the college?

As studying abroad is student-driven, there are myriad possibilities of study abroad and international projects for Musical Studies majors. You can participate in Oberlin-affiliated programs, like The Center for University Programs Abroad (CUPA) which offers classes in music, or programs you find in your own research based on your interests. Note that you can study abroad during the fall or spring semester, for the entire school year, over Winter Term, or throughout the summer. Check out our Office of Study Away webpage for more details.

Practicing, Lessons, and Solo Performance

Are there practice rooms or practice spaces available to college students?

Yes, all of the general practice rooms (nearly all of which include pianos) located in Robertson Hall of the conservatory are open to college students for use, free of charge and without needing to sign up in advance. Rooms are available on a first-come, first-serve basis and can accommodate one or two people at a time within most of the general rooms for lessons, rehearsals with accompanists, etc. With more than 150 practice rooms, there is often ample opportunity for all to practice when desired. Robertson Hall is open from 7:30am to midnight daily (except during special times in the school year, such as academic breaks). Musical Studies majors can also reserve classrooms in the conservatory for chamber groups, a capella groups, and other similar ensembles to rehearse. Additionally, there are additional practice rooms for college students in South Hall and Kahn Hall, two of our many on-campus dormitories. Additionally, pianos are located for practice in every residence hall’s lobby area.

Are there opportunities for college students to take private lessons?

We offer all students the opportunity for private music lessons through two different programs. In our credit-bearing Secondary Lessons Program, students may audition in their area and are placed with either a student or a faculty member (less likely due to their teaching load and schedule). Students must have two credits available in their schedule in order to apply and audition for Secondary Lessons. Through our Private Lesson Referral Program, Oberlin students may privately hire a Conservatory student teacher. Through Private Lesson Referrals, instruction is available on most instruments for a fee paid directly to the student teachers.

Will college students have access to instruments if they do not own their own (i.e. percussion, contrabassoon)?

Yes, college students registered for private lessons as part of the Secondary Lessons program can check out instruments, free of charge, through our instrument depot, depending on availability. See more about instrument rentals.

Can a student participate in lessons for multiple instruments? Additionally, is there a maximum amount of lessons available to students?

Yes, students can take secondary lessons in more than one area at a time – it all depends on your progress towards your degree, your schedule, and the space in your course load for the semester. Note that only those lessons that fit in your course load will be able to be taken as for-credit; additional lessons will have to be taken as not-for-credit. 

Do college students have the opportunity to put on recitals?

Yes, college students can perform recitals in many of the spaces around campus - even in dorms, as they have pianos in the lobbies! However, only conservatory students and Musical Studies majors are able to perform their recitals in the concert halls in the conservatory. This is only due to the fact that there are so many concerts and rehearsals happening every day, that we need to reserve those spaces for degree-required activities.

Are there lessons or performance opportunities on electric bass?

The conservatory only offers lessons in upright double bass, in both the classical and jazz areas, but student-teachers in jazz bass may be able to offer lessons on electric bass. There is no electric bass in the Oberlin Jazz Ensemble, our big band, but there may be opportunity in jazz small ensembles.

What opportunities do college students have to play organ?

College students interested in playing any of the four concert organs around campus should be in contact with David Kazimir, Curator of Organs. There are also over a dozen practice rooms with practice organs from various time periods available to both college and conservatory students.

Classes and Academic Opportunities

Can I take conservatory classes as a college student, even if not working toward a minor or double degree?

Yes, college students are able to take classes in the conservatory. College students may elect to take standard classes for conservatory students (e.g.: Music Theory I) or enroll in one of the many classes designed for non-majors. The only thing to note is that there can be some limitations in the standard classes due to space availability, as majors who require the course for their degree will always get preference over non-majors (the same is true for classes in the college as well). Also, any prerequisites for the course would need to be met. There may be some upper-level courses that are restricted to majors only, as with any department in both the college and conservatory. Special permission may be granted by the appropriate faculty on a case-by-case basis for these advanced courses.

Is there a difference between college music classes and conservatory music classes?

All music classes taught at Oberlin are taught by conservatory faculty, but the educational focus of each class may differ. Classes required of conservatory students are focused on preparing them for a professional career in music, specifically in the jazz and classical arenas, often within the realms of performance or composition. Classes designed for college students are meant to provide a strong foundation for music within a liberal arts context, which is often applied to more academic careers in music, such as musical research, music journalism, or arts administration. They also provide experience for those who are interested in performing in areas not offered in the conservatory or seek to meaningfully enrich their lives in music. However, college students may access some of the advanced conservatory music classes with permission from the professor or division director, and conservatory students can also be found in those courses designed for college students when the subject is outside of their chosen major.

Are there any courses for college students in Baroque music?

Yes, college students can take individual classes that cover music of the Baroque, Medieval, and Renaissance eras through the Music History department, and other classes, such as our Introduction to Historical Performance course. There are also several ensembles that college students can perform with that are conducted by conservatory faculty, such as our early music choir, Collegium Musicum, the recorder consort, or the gamba consort.

Are there any music production classes for students in the college?

While the conservatory does not offer specific classes on the topic of music production, it can be explored through related courses in the TIMARA (Technology in Music and Related Arts) department. Some TIMARA classes involve music production peripherally and may be open to college students with permission from the faculty. TECH 101 is a specific TIMARA class that is open to college students and non-majors; other classes also exist at the 100-level for an introduction into electroacoustic music and recording. Additionally, there are extra-curricular opportunities to build experience in music production - namely, student employment with Con Audio, the office that manages audiovisual needs within the Conservatory, or working in Studio B, a broadcast studio for local and visiting musicians, that is a part of our student run radio station, WOBC-FM.

What sort of opportunities are there for college students to study composition?

College students are welcome take introductory composition courses, such as COMP 101, and other non-major courses in the department. Private lessons are also offered in composition through the secondary lessons program.

Instrumental Ensemble Opportunities

Are there opportunities for college students to perform with an orchestra?

Yes, there are ensemble and performance opportunities available to students at the college: The Arts & Sciences Chamber Collective (ASCC) is a chamber ensemble practicum course led by members of the Verona Quartet, Quartet-in-Residence at the Oberlin College & Conservatory. This course offers college students the chance to sharpen their individual and collaborative music skills through multifaceted chamber music settings including Small Chamber Groups and the A&S Chamber Orchestra.

Acceptance is based on audition and course availability. All orchestral instruments and pianists are welcome to apply; placement is contingent on the availability of repertoire and instrumental composition of the group of students auditioning in a given semester. Please email Jonathan Ong for audition information.

College students may also audition to perform with the main conservatory large ensembles: Oberlin Orchestra, Oberlin Chamber Orchestra, Oberlin Sinfonietta, and Contemporary Music Ensemble. It should be noted, however, that due to the requirement that conservatory performance majors play in these large ensembles every semester, we must ensure space is available to those students first. This may prevent college students who play in smaller instrument areas, such as winds, brass and percussion, from having available space, but is more likely in section instruments, such as strings.

As true for conservatory students, college students placed in one of the aforementioned conservatory large ensembles have to do placement auditions each year. String players audition once a year; winds and brass audition once each semester. Availability may also change each concert cycle depending on the repertoire performed.

What chamber music opportunities are there for college students?

College students interested in chamber music can register for a dedicated class, Oberlin A&S Chamber Music, taught by conservatory faculty or staff. Students in this course audition and are placed in various chamber groups and are coached by the instructor(s). They have an opportunity to perform on a recital at the end of the course for a public audience. For more information, contact Chris Jenkins, Conservatory Associate Dean for Academic Support.

College students who play at a high level are also welcome to audition for conservatory chamber groups. Interested students should reach out to Professor Kirsten Docter, Associate Professor of Viola and Chamber Music.

Are there pit orchestra opportunities for college students?

Yes, college students can audition to play in the pit orchestra for any of the musicals that are produced in the college, such as those in the Theater or Dance departments, or the Oberlin Musical Theater Association (OMTA). The pit orchestra for mainstage opera theater productions is comprised of students in the Oberlin Orchestra and Oberlin Chamber Orchestra.

Are there jazz performance opportunities for college students?

Yes, jazz ensembles (both Oberlin Jazz Ensemble - our big band - and the small ensembles) are open to college students who demonstrate, through audition, that they understand the vocabulary and harmonic details of the repertoire and display the skills to perform at a high level. Should students demonstrate this and wish to be involved in faculty-coached small ensembles, they will either be placed with conservatory Jazz Studies majors or other college students that also demonstrate strong performance abilities. Auditions can be arranged with Professor Jay Ashby, Director of the Division of Jazz Studies and Professor of Jazz Trombone.

What is Performance and Improvisation and can college students participate?

The Performance and Improvisation (PI) ensembles provide an opportunity for students to enrich their existing musical vocabularies and skills through practical exploration of a variety of world music and improvisation across a range of genres and styles. They are elective ensembles open to both college and conservatory students, and welcome participation from all instrument areas. Typically to audition for PI, students must be in their second year or higher. Those who play classical instruments are strongly encouraged to have taken the Beginning Improvisation class and at least one semester of the Internalizing Rhythms class before auditioning. For more PI ensemble information, contact Professor Jamey Haddad, Professor of Advanced Improvisation and Percussion.

What's the scene for marching band, pep band, or something similar?

There is a student-run marching band, Oberlin College Marching Band (OCMB). It is a club-like group that was founded back in 1998 and is mainly composed of college students. You can find more info about the band and how to join on the OCMB website. OCMB also has a Facebook page where you can check out some of their past performances.

Are there any percussion ensembles or groups outside of the conservatory?

Yes, there are non-conservatory percussion ensembles: Oberlin Steel (or OSteel), our steel pan group, has a long history on Oberlin’s campus and has toured, recorded an album, and performs regularly in the community, and Oberlin College Taiko, the Japanese taiko drumming group. We also offer a for-credit course on Javanese Gamelan. Students can also play in a band or create their own groups, Experimental College (ExCo) classes, or student organizations related to percussion performance.

Vocal Ensemble Opportunities

Are there opportunities for college students to perform with a choir or in an opera theater production?

Yes, in addition to the many student-formed a cappella groups on campus, there are several choirs that are available to college students. Oberlin's Musical Union is the nation’s second oldest continuing choral tradition, and its membership is comprised of college students, conservatory students, and members of the Oberlin community. Oberlin College Choir is the conservatory’s main large vocal ensemble, and like other main conservatory large ensembles, college students are welcome to audition for participation. Interested students should contact Professor Gregory Ristow, Director of Vocal Ensembles and Associate Professor of Conducting, to arrange an audition. Students interested in the Musical Union may also complete the interest form.

Oberlin produces 3 operas each year—one mainstage production each semester and one smaller production over Winter Term. Of these, the Winter Term opera is most accessible to college students and has featured college students in the recent past. College students are able to audition for the other two mainstage productions as well, however participation is often restricted due to availability—roles and opera chorus parts are typically reserved for students who need to be in a production per their degree requirements.

Are there religious vocal ensembles at Oberlin? 

Yes, there is a gospel choir offered through the conservatory, which is organized and directed by Professor La Tanya Hall, Associate Professor of Jazz Voice. Any student can audition to participate, and those interested should contact Professor Hall. There is also a student-run group called Voices for Christ, which is a smaller ensemble of students who perform gospel and Christian songs.

Are there vocal ensembles geared towards contemporary music?

Yes, Oberlin College Choir performs a wide array of repertoire, including new music from living composers – even pieces written by faculty in our Composition Department. There are often new vocal ensembles being formed around contemporary commercial and classical music as well. The Phlox Choir, as part of the new, student-led Phlox Ensembles  that also includes an orchestral group, continues to perform many contemporary pieces in line with their mission to showcase works written by women, trans, and non-binary composers beginning with their first concert over Winter Term in 2019. You can also sing in a cappella groups (such as the newly created Sourgum Experimental Vocal Ensemble) or offer an ExCo class in contemporary choral music to sing with like-minded individuals.

Musical Theater

How do you get involved in musical theater at Oberlin?

Oberlin is home to many musical theater lovers! There is a long-standing student organization called Oberlin Musical Theater Association (OMTA). To join, you can attend their general interest meetings held throughout the year, speak with one of the student leaders (you can connect with them via social media on the OMTA Facebook page), or audition for one of their 3 productions done throughout the school year.

How many theaters are there for plays, musicals, etc. at Oberlin? And how many plays and musicals happen per year at Oberlin, on average?

Oberlin currently has 3 theaters – Hall Auditorium, which seats approximately 500 people, for mainstage productions; Kander Theater, a black-box theater for experimental shows, and the Wurtzel Theater, which is an adjustable space that can seat up to 300. The Warner Center, which houses the Theater and Dance departments, has additional studios. 

Each year, there is one mainstage musical and two mainstage plays, led by faculty or guest directors, in Hall Auditorium. There are at least three additional student-directed musicals through the Oberlin Musical Theater Association and five additional student-directed plays through the Oberlin Student Theater Association (OSTA). Theater majors also direct several plays each year as part of projects for their major in Kander Theater. Casting for all productions are open to all Oberlin students.

Can you take voice lessons in musical theater?

As there is no major or formal program in musical theater in either the college or the conservatory, there are no lessons in musical theater specifically. However, secondary lessons are offered in jazz voice. One interested in learning musical theater singing could take lessons in either jazz or classical voice studies to build healthy singing technique and then apply those techniques to performing in musicals.

Is there interaction between the music, theater, and dance departments? Are there opportunities that integrate all of these various art forms?

Yes, some through structured opportunities that take place annually, but much of which happens organically. One example of this would be the recent performance of Two the Hands by Caroline Shaw. This work was performed by Oberlin College Choir, a vocal ensemble comprised of both college and conservatory musicians, accompanied by string instrumentalists from the conservatory and featuring dancers from the college's Dance department. It was choreographed by a Visiting Assistant Professor of Dance. While this performance doesn’t happen annually, it is not unusual for productions to involve several departments.

A more structured opportunity would be the musical included annually as one of the Theater department’s main stage productions. These productions often feature conservatory and college students both on stage and in the pit. The Theater and Dance departments are also closely related, with many cross-listed courses in the two areas. Our new interdivisional minor in Interdisciplinary Performance brings together classes from all of these art forms, in addition to visual art, cinematic studies, creative writing, and more. Students can even create their own majors to include coursework in music, theater, and dance. Additionally, there is opportunity for classes in these areas to be connected as part of a course cluster in our StudiOC.


What sorts of music are popular amongst Oberlin students?

Truly all sorts! There are many eclectic and wide-ranging musical interests of Oberlin students, even those in the conservatory who either major in classical performance or Jazz Studies. You will be sure to find other Obies who enjoy or are interested in the music you like to listen to.

What is the process of joining the radio station at Oberlin?

For those who would like to be a part of Oberlin’s student-run radio station, WOBC-FM, they can attend one of their open general interest meetings to learn about how to run a station and apply, or find contact info on the WOBC website.

How easy is it to create a band?

Starting a band at Oberlin is relatively easy; it basically involves advertising your interest around campus by having open calls for playing/jam sessions, or by reaching out to student musicians you know of. Our student-run radio station, WOBC-FM, hosts a cover band showcase every semester in the Dionysus Disco (‘Sco), a live music venue in our student union, Wilder Hall, and it is another great way to find others interested in playing together. There is a recording space available through Studio B, a broadcast studio a part of WOBC for local musicians, also in Wilder Hall. Bands most commonly perform in the ‘Sco, but there are also other venues for performance such as The Cat in the Cream Coffeehouse, or Wilder Main, a large event space on Wilder Hall’s first floor.

The Gear Cooperative (Gear Co-op) is another resource in Wilder for students interested in being in a band. It was designed to give non-conservatory students, in particular, a place and the space to create, perform, and record their music. The co-op has a full volunteer staff and hosts twice-weekly trainings to familiarize interested students with the gear and the policies of the co-op. Equipment and space are free to use. They host fun events each year, such as the Rando Bando Showcase, where student musicians sign up and are randomly placed into bands together. Each band gets four weeks to write at least 1 song together to perform at the showcase.

Are there opportunities for someone in the college to be an accompanist?

Yes, students who would like to accompany other musicians have many opportunities to do so. Most of these outlets will come from college musicians who are in need of a pianist, but college students adept at accompanying have also assisted in rehearsals for student-run musicals with the Oberlin Musical Theater Association (OASO) and they assist peers in special projects.