Please follow the directions below to avoid substantial charges and fines that can result from leaving and or checking out improperly.
Residence Hall Closing Information For All Students Not Approved for Winter Term
Please Note: All students not approved for winter term (students approved receive an email - Winter Term Housing Registration Received) must vacate their space by 9 am on 1/25/22.
Failure to vacate residence halls by 9 a.m. will result in a $50 per hour fine. Make sure your travel plans coincide with this deadline. ID cards will be turned off at 9 a.m. in all residence halls including Village.
All student rooms with students not approved to stay on campus for winter term will be inspected for verification of closing procedures and life safety compliance. Students not enrolled for the spring term have to check out. Before you go home you must do the following:
- Close and lock all windows and close curtains or blinds.
- Remove all trash and newspapers from your room/building to the dumpsters. Village Housing residents must take their trash to the curb for normal pick-up before they leave.
- Failure to complete these tasks can result in fines being assessed. (Note: . Professional staff members and facilities staff will each enter the units to assess the space.)
- Village Housing residents should make sure to leave the heat on and set the thermostat no lower than 55 degrees Fahrenheit to avoid damage to the housing unit.
- Unplug all electrical devices, including computers.
- Take with you any Aquariums and other animals.
- Do not leave any valuables, medicine, ID cards, passports, money, etc.
- If you have a room where a new resident could be moving in, make sure to keep that side of the room free of your belongings. Failure to do so could result in your relocation, at a cost to you.
- Unplug and clean your refrigerator and leave the door open to prevent mildew.
- Close and lock your door and leave the building by 9 a.m. on January 25, 2022.
- If you are returning for spring semester take your key with you for the break and do not turn in your ID Card.
1. Complete the Check-Out Charge Appeal Form . The request for an appeal must include a detailed rationale that addresses one or all of the criteria.
2. An assistant director of Residential Education will begin investigating the appeal within five business days of receipt.
3. If the charges are not able to be appealed, students will be notified and the appeal process will end at this point.
4. If the charges are able to be appealed, students will be notified of the outcome of the appeal. Notification will occur within three weeks of receipt.
5. If the appeal is denied, a final appeal based on the criteria above may be made to the Director of Residential Education (or designee) within 5 business days of the initial decision. The determination of the director of Residential Education (or designee) is final.
All students not enrolled must complete an express checkout envelope and place it with their room key (when applicable) in a designated return box in their building by 9 a.m. on January 25, 2022. In Village Housing, residents will receive an additional letter that explains village-specific procedures from the AC for Village Housing.
In Residence Halls (all Program Houses and Traditional Halls):
- Before you checkout, you must complete the following (please note that in multiple occupancy spaces, each occupant is responsible for the entire space, not just their specific area):
- The room and hallway around your room must be cleaned including floor, closets, drawers, and furniture surfaces. Properly dispose of trash/cinder blocks (see "Trash" section); sweep, vacuum, and dust. (Vacuums are only available in Residence Halls on a first come, courtesy basis. Contact a student staff member for more information.)
- The walls, doors, and ceiling must be clean of all tape, marks, hooks, adhesive, and tacks.
- All beds must be unbunked and in the lowest position off the floor. Don't wait until the last day to do this. Remember the tools you used. Tools are not provided by staff.
- Remove all personal belongings from the room.
- This will take longer than you imagine, begin now.
- When you are ready to leave, complete the Express CheckoutEnvelope and return it with your key to the designated locked return box for your building. This must be completed by 9 a.m. on January 25, 2022, to be considered "checked out". You may only contest charges if you properly check out by completing the Express Checkout Card/Envelope and returning your key. Once you complete the Express Checkout, you will not be allowed back into the room or building.
- Express Checkout Envelopes are located, in a box on the right hand side of the hallway of the Biggs Entrance of Stevenson Hall, and also at the Office of Campus Safety.
- Residents of Keyed Buildings must turn in their key with the Express Checkout Envelope.
- Residents of Keyless Buildings must complete the Express Checkout form online at Online Express Checkout Form
- If a resident wants to take responsibility for damage to a room, they can do so by e-mailing ResEd@Oberlin.edu.
- After you leave, the staff will use the Room Condition Report (RCR) to note any changes in the conditions of your room, furnishings, or fixtures since the check-in portion of the RCR that was completed when you moved into the room.
- Note: Professional staff members and Facilities staff will each enter the units to assess the space.
- Appeals of Residential Education checkout charges must be received within 30 days of billing. The criteria upon which appeals may be based are:
- New information is available that was not available at the time charges were assessed.
- Charges are unreasonably severe
- Charges were incorrectly assessed