Office of Financial Aid


Renewing Financial Aid

Students must apply for aid each year. Financial aid application forms for returning students are generally available in December for aid to be awarded in the next academic year.

  • Need-based financial aid requires:
    • Completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid
    • Completion of the Federal Verification Worksheet
    • Submission of the proper federal tax returns and W2 forms for parent(s) and student
  • Merit scholarships will be renewed at the amount received as an incoming student. Students do not need to apply for need based aid to receive merit scholarships. Merit scholarships are awarded for up to 8 semesters or 10 semesters for Double Degree students. Oberlin does not extend merit aid to pay for additional majors or minors. 
  • Federal Title IV financial aid is renewed based on the information provided on the FAFSA. Once a student has completed their degree requirements, regardless of how many semesters attended, they are no longer eligible for Federal Title IV financial aid, including the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Direct Stafford loans, Federal Work Study, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant and Federal Direct PLUS loans. 
  • Amount of aid: In general, the amount of financial aid you receive will stay about the same from one year to the next. However, your eligibility for aid may vary if your family's circumstances change. For example, differences in family income, siblings leaving or entering undergraduate study, and other factors may alter your financial aid eligibility from one year to the next.
  • Deadlines: It is essential to meet all application deadlines. Failure to submit all required application materials by the priority date and continued tardiness in completing the financial aid application will result in a reduction of grant assistance. Grants will be replaced by loans and/or work-study.

If you know that you will be unable to meet the priority date due to a special              circumstance, please contact the Office of Financial Aid to discuss your situation.


Financial aid awards are constructed within budget constraints and must comply with federal regulations and Oberlin College policy. However, if your family experiences an unforeseen change in your financial situation or you think you have special circumstances that should be taken into account, you may request a review of your financial aid eligibility. To do this, contact the Office of Financial Aid to request a review form. You may request this by emailing the office at