Office of Financial Aid

Alternative Educational Loans

Educational loans that are not part of the Federal Student Aid program are typically referred to as ‘alternative’ or ‘supplemental’ student loans.

These loans can be made to the student or parents and usually require a co-signer. 

More information about alternative loans, their costs and terms can be obtained from alternative loan lenders. Oberlin College students may apply for an alternative loan from any lender of their choice.

We highly recommend that students first apply for financial aid and Federal Student Loans before considering borrowing through an alternative loan program. 

Elm Select makes it easy to compare and contrast private alternative student loans. Please visit the following link for more information: Elm Select