Winter Term presents an opportunity for you to share your expertise with a current student and help them learn more about your career field. Winter Term internships are designed to provide students with realistic exposure to career fields in which they are interested. Alumni offer a majority of our Winter Term internships, but we also welcome internship offers from parents of Oberlin students, employers, and other friends of the college.
- Host an eager assistant to help with projects for a month
- An opportunity to share information about the profession and provide career mentoring to an Oberlin student
- A firsthand look at what it's really like to work in your field
- The opportunity to apply their liberal arts skills in a real-world environment
- Information to help them in their career decision-making
- Experience to strengthen their future job and internship applications
- Mid-August through September 24: Post Winter Term internships to Handshake
- Monday, October 1: Winter Term internship postings "go live" to students
- Thursday, October 4: Winter Term Fair - Career Development staff will attend to promote opportunities posted by the deadline
- Monday, November 5: All Winter Term internship postings close
- Tuesday, November 6: Employers receive application packets
- Friday, November 16: Employer deadline to make internship offers
- Monday, November 26: Student deadline to accept or decline internship offers
- Friday, December 7: Student registration deadline for Winter Term - student must have accepted an internship and identified a faculty or staff sponsor to register
- Make sure to include the words "Winter Term" in the internship title
(i.e. "Winter Term __________ Intern").
- By default, postings will be set to send a resume book after the posting closes. If you prefer to receive applications as they are submitted, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Employers should contact applicants directly to arrange interviews and extend internship offers. We also recommend notifying candidates that have not been selected, so they can pursue other opportunities.
If you have questions about Winter Term, please contact the Career Development Center at email@example.com or 440.775.8060.
Fair Labor Standards for Internships
If you are offering an internship with a "for-profit" organization in the private sector, and have questions about how the Fair Labor Standards Act applies to interns, please download the U.S. Department of Labor's fact sheet: Fact Sheet #71: Internship Programs Under the Fair Labor Standards Act . Additional information is available through the U.S. Department of Labor .