Below you will find essential information on audition requests, audition/portfolio materials submission, screening requirements, audition categories, supplemental recordings, and interview requests. Visit the “quick links” for division-specific audition details.
Jump to a section:
- Audition Requests
- Audition/Portfolio Materials Submission
- Screening Requirements
- Audition Categories
- Supplemental Recordings
- Interview Requests
1. Audition Requests
All areas other than composition and TIMARA require an audition. Composition and TIMARA applicants require an interview.
Undergraduate auditions are scheduled through the Audition/Interview Request Form on the Applicant Portal, available after submission of the Common Application. No audition will be scheduled without submission of this form. For more information on application requirements, please see the Undergraduate Applicants webpage. Please note that the application deadline is December 1.
Graduate auditions are scheduled as part of the Oberlin Conservatory Application for Admission and will be confirmed upon submission of the application. No audition will be scheduled without submission of the Application for Admission and payment of the application fee. For more information on application requirements and to begin the Oberlin Conservatory Application for Admission, please select the appropriate program from Requirements & Deadlines. Please note that the application deadline is December 1.
2. Audition/Portfolio Materials Submission
All audition and portfolio materials, including screening recordings, final audition recordings, supplemental recordings, Composition portfolios, and TIMARA portfolios, should be uploaded via the Audition and Screening Dropbox located on your Applicant Portal. The Audition and Screening Dropbox is capable of accepting files up to 5 GB in the following formats: .avi, .flv, .m1v, .m2v, .m4v, .mkv, .mov, .mpeg, .mpg, .mp4, .webm, .wmv, .aac, .aif, .aiff, .iff, .fla, .m4a, .mpa, .mp3, .ra, .wav, .wma, .doc, .docx, .odg, .odp, .odt, .pdf, .ppt, .pptx, .rtf, .wpd. Additionally, students can include YouTube links when necessary, though direct media file upload is strongly encouraged and preferred.
IMPORTANT: After a file has been uploaded, you will see a thumbnail preview and link to "Edit Details". Please use this to include the appropriate Title of the work. In the Medium field you must also type in what category the submission belongs: "Final Audition", "Screening Materials", or "Supplemental Materials".
3. Screening Requirements
Live auditions (on campus and regional) in piano, voice, flute, and jazz studies and all composition and TIMARA interviews require submission of screening materials through the Audition and Screening Dropbox on your Applicant Portal. Auditions and/or Interviews in these areas will be confirmed after review of the submitted screening materials. Screening materials must be received by December 4. Screening materials received after this deadline will be reviewed at the discretion of the Conservatory Admissions Office. See the specific audition requirements for your instrument for more information on screening requirements. Any materials submitted will not be returned.
4. Audition Categories
The conservatory accepts auditions in three different formats. Personal auditions are encouraged of all applicants who live within 600 miles of campus or within 200 miles of a regional audition site.
- On Campus Audition: Four audition weekends are hosted on Oberlin’s campus each year. The following link contains information about on campus auditions and contains a preliminary audition weekend schedule: audition weekend information.
- Regional Audition: Regional auditions are offered at sites in Asia during the month of October and throughout the United States during the months of January and February. The auditions are audio and video recorded then brought back to campus for the faculty to evaluate. Please note: regional auditions are not heard in harp, classical percussion, jazz percussion, and organ.
- Recorded Audition: If an on-campus audition or a regional audition is not possible, applicants may submit a video recording electronically through the Audition and Screening Dropbox on the Applicant Portal. Videos may be unaccompanied (except for voice auditions) and may be produced with high quality home recording equipment; studio quality recording is not necessary. Deadline for submission of Recorded Auditions is February 15. If necessary, media may be mailed using the Materials Mailing Form, though upload to the Audition and Screening Dropbox is strongly preferred. Any materials submitted will not be returned.
5. Supplemental Recordings
In addition to any required audition and screening materials (check the audition requirements for your specific area of study), we allow students to submit any additional performance recordings they feel highlight their abilities. This could include recordings of live performances, pieces not included in required audition repertoire, etc. Submissions should be made using the Audition and Screening Dropbox and can be included with all required screening and final audition materials.
As a high-level, performance-driven institute, the final audition will be weighed most heavily in the review of applicants, and submitting supplemental materials is not required. However, we also want to provide the opportunity for students to represent themselves as musicians in the most complete way possible.
6. Interview Requests (Composition and TIMARA applicants only)
No instrumental audition is required for consideration in these programs. Students do not perform instrumental auditions, rather, applicants are invited to interview with faculty on campus. Interviews are scheduled as part of the Audition/Interview Request Form on the Applicant Portal. As application to these areas requires the submission of a Screening Portfolio, the requested interview will be confirmed after review of the submitted Screening Portfolio. For more information regarding screening requirements, see the specific audition requirements for your area of interest.
No interview will be scheduled without submission of the Audition/Interview Request Form. For more information on application requirements, please see the Undergraduate Applicants webpage.