All students will have the opportunity to apply for need-based funding from the Office of Winter Term inside their application

A student practices aikido
Students learn basic aikido techniques in Hales Gymnasium. Photo credit: Marissa Camino

Since funding is limited, students should create a detailed budget of their expenses to determine if funding is needed.  Additional funds are available through various offices and academic departments on campus.

This budget template can help you determine the costs of participating in an individual winter-term project.  Download the Excel spreadsheet and enter your program costs and external funding.  The spreadsheet will autocalculate your total project costs.

Individual project budget template 

Funding is most frequently used to cover transportation, housing costs, or meals.  It may be used to purchase materials or rent equipment for a project, but it cannot be used to purchase personal items or equipment to keep. 

For more information see the Office of the Controller's policies regarding Meals and Entertainment and Travel.

On-Capmpus Projects:

For students who live in Residential Education housing and are enrolled in a Campus Dining Services meal plan during the fall semester, there are no additional fees for living and dining on campus during winter term, but students must complete the Winter Term Housing Form.

More details about on-campus housing and the Housing Form link are available here: Winter Term Housing

Off-Capmpus Projects:

For off-campus projects, Oberlin alumni sometimes host students over winter term.  Email to inquire about these opportunities.  The Career Development Center also has resources for identifying housing options.