Every winter term project must have an on-campus sponsor.
Faculty members and Administrative and Professional Staff (A&PS) may sponsor projects. The basic duties of project sponsors are to provide guidance on project planning, support student learning, and submit a grade for each sponsored student.
Call for Group Project Proposals - WT22
Dear Faculty and A&PS Staff,
The Office of Winter Term is pleased to announce that planning for Winter Term 2022 is well underway. Faculty and eligible A&PS staff wishing to propose group projects are invited to do so beginning today, Tuesday, June 1. Project proposal and funding request forms are available online at the Terra Dotta application site. The deadline for submitting group project proposals and funding requests is Friday, July 30.
Winter Term 2022 Important Dates:
- June 1: Project proposal and funding request forms available in Terra Dotta
- June 22: Info session for new group project sponsors and sponsors considering international projects (RSVP to email@example.com for zoom link)
- July 30: Deadline for group project proposals and funding requests in Terra Dotta
- mid-August: Group project funding notifications sent
- October 1: Winter Term 2022 Group Project catalog available
- October 8: Deadline for group project sponsors to register for the Winter Term Fair
- October 18: Student registration opens
- October 19: Winter Term Fair 7:00-8:30pm
- November 19: Student registration closes
- November 30: Deadline for selective projects to submit participant lists
- January 25: Winter Term begins
- February 17: Winter Term Festival of Ideas
- February 17: Winter Term ends
- Early March (TBD): Grades due via Banner Self Service
- March 18: Deadline for funding recipients to submit receipts
- March 18: Deadline for funding recipients to submit funding report
As a reminder, in 2019 the General Faculty approved One Oberlin Winter Term recommendations that all full-time faculty are required to sponsor one group project (with a minimum of 8 available participant “seats”) every four years. The required number of sponsor/participant contact hours is approximately four to six hours per week, or its equivalent, to meet the desired learning outcomes of Winter Term.
The Office of Winter Term has limited funding available to support faculty- and A&PS-led group projects in the following categories and maximum amounts:
- up to $1,250 for faculty-led on-campus projects
- up to $1,250 for A&PS staff-led on-campus projects
- up to $3,000 for faculty-led off-campus U.S. domestic group projects
- up to $6,000 for faculty-led international projects
Office of Winter Term funding request forms are available on the Terra Dotta application site from Tuesday, June 1 through Friday, July 30. Grant funding decision notifications will be emailed to applicants in mid-August.
When completing a project proposal in Terra Dotta, please consider if the project may be listed as “non-selective.” This will allow students to enroll in a single visit to our registration site. Specific qualifications and requirements can be listed in the project brochure so that students can determine whether or not they are well suited for the project. Please list any required qualifications along with the project description.
Sponsors proposing selective projects, managed either within the Terra Dotta system or via their own external processes, will need to meet with the Office of Winter Term in August to coordinate their selection process with us. A finalized list of project participants must be shared with the Office of Winter Term by Tuesday, November 30th.
On June 22, from 12:20-1:15pm, the Office of Winter Term will host an info session to introduce new group project sponsors to the Winter Term process. We will also be joined by Michael Rainaldi, Director of International Programs, to address process requirements for sponsors who are considering international projects. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org for the info session calendar invite and zoom link.
Please direct any questions about the group project proposal or funding request processes to the Office of Winter Term at email@example.com or to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for helping create memorable Winter Term experiences for our students!
Winter Term Director
Faculty and A&PS who wish to lead group projects are responsible for:
- Submitting project and funding proposals in late spring
- Establishing and publicizing the project
- Overseeing project finances
- Supporting students in reaching clearly defined learning goals
- Reporting each student’s grade [completed (Y) or not completed (N)] in Banner
- Submitting receipts and final budget reconciliation to the Office of Winter Term, if the project received funding
Current group project sponsors with questions about navigating the application portal should contact email@example.com for assistance.
Faculty and A&PS who agree to serve as individual project sponsors will:
- Work with students to determine appropriate project scope, identify materials and resources necessary for completing the project, and clearly define learning goals
- Provide students with guidance on project assessment and evaluation processes
- Meet with students prior to submitting the online sponsorship approval form, which is sent automatically from the students’ completed applications. Should you receive a proposal from a student who has not previously contacted you, please redirect the student to the winter term office via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Report each student’s grade [completed (Y) or not completed (N)] in Banner
Current individual project sponsors with questions about navigating the application portal should contact email@example.com for assistance.