Student Health Services

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What are the basic services offered at Student Health?

General Medical Care + Preventive Care Services:

  • Annual physical exam
  • Pre-participation physical exams for study abroad, sports, camp
  • Immunizations
  • Medication administration
  • Visual acuity examination
  • Referrals to Counseling Center when appropriate
  • Referral to specialists when appropriate


  • Select lab tests are available on-site
  • Phlebotomy services are provided free of charge
  • Testing that is not performed in-office will be sent to an external lab, and insurance will be billed. It is the student’s responsibility to contact their insurance provider to find out what will and will not be covered.
  • Students who have prescriptions or orders for lab work from an outside provider can have the labs drawn in Student Health, and the results will be communicated to the ordering provider.

Acute Care Services:

  • Respiratory issues
  • Common Cold symptoms
  • Sore throat/ Strep throat testing and treatment
  • Influenza testing and treatment, when indicated
  • COVID-19 testing, when indicated
  • Sinus/ nasal congestion Ear pain/ congestion
  • Seasonal allergies
  • Asthma
  • Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting
  • Urinary problems
  • Skin problems
  • Eye problems
  • Muscle and/or joint pain
  • Minor injuries (sprains/ strains)
  • Abrasions
  • Minor burns/ sunburns
  • Animal bites
  • Splinter removal

Women’s Health Services:

  • A wide range of services is offered for students who identify as women + all students who were assigned female at birth.
  • Complete exams when indicated per current guidelines.
  • Pap smears + other health maintenance testing
  • Contraceptive counseling/ management
  • HPV vaccine

Sexual Health: 

  • General sexual health issues
  • Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) testing and treatment
  • Medication for HIV prevention (pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV [PrEP])

How do I make an appointment?

We encourage you to call (440) 775-8180 or email to make an appointment. Walk-in appointments are welcome.

Do students have access to birth control through Student Health Services?

Yes. Students who wish to obtain birth control can be seen by a certified nurse practitioner who can prescribe and dispense contraceptive options. 

Do you offer Plan B and other emergency contraceptives?

Yes. Students can access Plan B when requested and may recommend and prescribe other emergency contraceptives as indicated.

Do you offer STI testing?

Yes, STI testing and treatment will be provided by a Student Health Services care provider.

What support is available for a student who is pregnant?

If a student is pregnant, they may seek support and resources through the Student Health Center that are best aligned with their wishes. Recommendations/treatment/guidance are decided within the collaborative relationship of the student and their healthcare provider.

T shots and general thoughts about care and support for trans individuals?

Transgender care will be referred to the specialists handling trans-affirming and gender-affirming care. However, if a student has a physician who is already handling this care, student health services can support that process through collaboration.

Where can I go if student health doesn't have what I need? How is that paid for?

There are multiple providers within student health services. Students will receive appropriate referrals and resources to get the required care if additional services are needed. If a student is referred outside of Student Health, the student’s health insurance would cover these services, or the student may seek financial assistance through ObieCares. 

What form of payment can I use at Student Health Services?

Services/fees can be paid with credit, debit, and Student Account charges.

Can I use my health insurance to pay?

We do not bill any insurance directly other than Academic Health Plans Insurance for the above-listed services. A Walk Out statement will be provided to submit to your insurance company. You will receive the negotiated contract price based on the terms of your policy.

Do I need to bring my health insurance card for every visit to SHS or other medical facilities?

Bring your health insurance card or mobile App to each visit. This will also allow us to make a copy for your chart if needed. You will need your insurance card for lab and x-ray procedures, referrals, other office visits, walk-in clinics, urgent care, and ER visits to fill prescriptions at the local pharmacy.

Where can I go for health care needs after hours or when Student Health Services is closed?

After hours or weekends, Oberlin Walk-in Clinic is located at 224 W. Lorain St. Suite 100; hours are 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. 

If you have emergency healthcare needs, Mercy Allen Hospital can be reached at (440) 775-1211. If you have a transport need for medical care, call Campus Safety at (440) 775-8444. 

If you are experiencing a medical emergency, please call 911.