Office of Residential Education

Returning Student Housing Selection

Residential Education is striving to make housing selection as stress-free as possible.

Returning Student Housing Selection Process


Selection Goals

  • Simplify the process to avoid complexity and confusion
  • Decrease student anxiety regarding Housing Selection
  • Ensure all students know where they are living for the next Fall Semester prior to their departure in May

Housing Selection Timeline for the 2023-2024 Academic Year

Dates are subject to change.

Dec 16- Off-Campus Lottery Application Opens

Details will be sent to all students with an anticipated minimum of six (6) completed semesters by the end of Spring 2023.

Feb 1-17- American With Disabilities Act (ADA) Housing Accommodation Process

  • This process is for students who have been approved for ADA housing accommodation through the Office of Disability and Access.

Feb 10- Off Campus Application Closes

Feb 13- Returning Student Housing Application for the 2023 - 2024 Academic Year Opens

Feb 13- New Student (those entering fall 2023) Housing Applications Opens

Feb 20 (week of)- Off-Campus Decision Notification for the 2023 - 2024 academic year will be sent via email.

Feb 24 (week of)- Americans With Disabilities Act  (ADA)Assignment Notification

Feb 27 (week of) Off-Campus confirmation for the 2023 - 2024 academic year will be sent to students via email.

March 3- Returning Student Housing Application Priority Deadline (Identity and Language Based Communities as well as Theme Living) for the 2023 - 2024 academic year.

March 3-24- Identity and Language Based Communities ane Theme Living Housing Selection Process

March 31 (week of)- Identity and Language Based Communities and Theme Living Housing offers Sent

March 31- Returner Housing Application Secondary Deadline

April 1- May 5- Returner Housing Lottery Process

June 1- New Student ADA Accommodations Priority Deadline

  • Paperwork must be submitted to the Office of Disability and Access by this date. 

June 1- New Student Housing Application Priority Deadline

  • Students who apply after this deadline will be placed in available housing and notified via email about their assignment.

June 5-9- New Student Housing Lottery Process (Applied by June 1, 2023)

July 1 (week of)- New Student Housing Assignments Emailed

July 1 - Deadline to submit request and proof for being considered for exemption from housing and dining process.

July 15 - notification of decision on housing/dining exemption requests

What if I want to room with an incoming new or transfer student?

You should register as an individual on the housing registration form. Send an e-mail, stating you wish to room with a new or transfer student. We will send you more information about the process once we receive the notification.

How and when do I apply if I want to live in a co-op next year?

To register for OSCA, you should fill out the application for housing on the OSCA website and the housing application with ResEd. There is no guarantee that you will get housing in OSCA, seeing as it is based on a lottery.

What if I am planning to study abroad in the fall, should I go through housing selection?

Please complete the registration form, but indicate that you are planning to take a leave. If you are not sure that you will get into the program you want or that your leave might not be approved by the time of housing selection, you should go through the selection process.

How do I apply for housing, while abroad?

If you are abroad in the fall, you will receive a return from leave application from us sometime around November. On that you can indicate your housing preferences. If you have a preferred roommate, it is good to let us know at that time, and they will need to email us as well. If you can match up with a group where another person in that group is planning to study abroad in the spring, then that makes things even easier as we can swap you out with that person when they leave to study abroad.

I have applied or have been hired as an RA. Should I still complete and return the housing and dining request form?

Yes. All students must apply for housing, even returning staff.

My friend and I want to be roommates next year, but I may not be here in the fall semester. What will happen to my roommate?

Go ahead and select housing. If you decide not to come in the fall, your roommate can request another person for a roommate (before June 30) or someone else will be assigned to the space. If you wish to live together in the spring, your roommate should place your names on the waitlist in December as a requested roommate. You should enter his or her T Number on your Return From Leave Registration Form, available the middle of October. We are unable to hold spaces and we will not force a student to relocate in order to accommodate your request for a roommate.

What if I register as an individual, but do not want a single? What are my options for selecting housing?

If you are selecting housing as an individual or not selecting a space as a group, you may only select a single occupancy space (i.e., a single occupancy apartment or single residence hall room) or a double residence hall room. If you are the second individual signing into a double residence hall room, the room will follow the preferred gender designation of the person assigned to the space. If you do not identify as the same as the person assigned to the space, please make sure you have spoken to the person before assigning yourself to the space with someone who identifies differently than you. If you place yourself with someone who identifies differently than you and you have not spoken to them you will be removed from the space.

How do I apply to live in a Program House?

Program houses, co-ops, theme and special interest housing require a separate application. Even if you know you will be living in a co-op you must still complete the on-line housing registration form. Based on your semesters in residence you will be assigned a randomized appointment time to accept your program house assignment or select another housing option.

I would like to register with a group larger than 4 people. Is this possible?

Unfortunately, group size for registration is limited to four people since this is the largest multiple occupancy space.

My group wants to live in village housing, but what if nothing fits our group size at the time of our appointment? What can we do?

Your group can split up and select separate village housing units near each other if you desire or chose from the any housing open at the time for which you are eligible. Since semesters in residence are averaged if one member of the group as a result of the split has a lower number of semesters in residence they may have to be re-scheduled.

I am abroad this semester and will be registering to live with a group of students for the upcoming year. Do I need to assign a proxy?

If you are not going to be at housing registration, then you need to fill out a form to assign a proxy to select housing for you. If you are registering a group, then selecting one of your group members as your proxy is more than appropriate, seeing as they will already be at the appointment. If you are registering as a single, you can always assign ResEd as your proxy and residential staff will select housing based on your submitted preferences.

I completed a village housing orientation session last year. Do I have to complete another one this year?

Yes. The village housing orientation takes place through Blackboard and must be completed within the first 3 weeks of the start of the semester.

What if I want to live in a village house, but entered as an individual, can I select a multiple occupancy village house?

Sorry, no.  Multiple occupancy village housing is designed for students who want to live together as a group. If you want to live in a village house you may want to consider finding a group before the close of the registration process or otherwise select a single occupancy unit in village housing.

I did not select a housing assignment. What will happen?

Students who have not selected a housing assignment by the end of spring semester will have assignments made for them based on vacancies that occur during the summer. We will try to honor the preferences submitted on your registration form. Please be aware that:

  • All students are assigned housing before the opening of residence halls for the fall semester and most will receive an assignment information late July.
  • It is possible that students could be assigned as non-program residents in a program house or overflow space in lounges. These students will be expected to move to traditional housing as soon as space becomes available.