Regional events for Oberlin alumni are an essential tool for keeping the extended Oberlin community strong and connected. We encourage and support regional alumni activity around the globe, but we need your help to make that happen. Champion our efforts by attending events in your area and consider planning an event for other alumni in your region.
Want to plan an event for alumni in your region?
If you'd like to host an event in your region, the Office of Alumni Engagement is here to help. Our office can provide support in many ways, including planning efforts, sending communications, collecting registrations and providing name tags and day of event materials. Submit your event idea using the form below and someone from the office will be in touch within 2-3 business days.
Want to take it a step further? Volunteer with the Office of Alumni Engagement to plan and host regional events. Serve as a regional coordinator!
6-8 weeks from event:
- Submit the Regional Event Questionnaire to discuss event ideas
4-6 weeks from event:
- Event fee determined (if applicable)
- Invitation details sent to Office of Alumni Engagement
- E-invitations sent and registration page created*
- Event added to regional events and marketed on social media*
- Catering order details discussed with venue
1-3 weeks from event:
- Reminder email sent*
- Promote event through social media (optional)
10-14 days from event:
- Final registrant number provided to venue*
1 week from event:
- Event supplies mailed to Regional Coordinator*
Day before event:
- Final guest list prepared*
- Reminder email sent to registrants*
Day of event:
- Arrive early to venue
- Set up registration table
- Welcome and check in alumni as they arrive
- Record accurate attendance
- Take photos throughout event, both candid and posed (as photos are taken, ensure those in the picture give permission to use photo post-event)
- Email final attendance list and photos to Office of Alumni Engagement
- Mail extra giveaway items, banner, final receipts, and W-9 form, if applicable, back to Office of Alumni Engagement (return package provided)
* Handled by Office of Alumni Engagement
- Panel presentations
- Networking happy hours
- Service-related projects
- Meetups at local sporting events
- Virtual panels and workshops
- Pre or post alumni performance receptions
- Museum tours
- Incoming Obie celebrations
- Welcome events for Obies new to the region
- Establish your event timeline. Use the provided timeline as a template while planning your event.
- Compile event details. Complete the regional event questionnaire with as much advanced notice as possible.
- Research, visit, and select your venue. We need our boots-on-the-ground alumni to scope out the best spaces for successful regional events!
- Consider event costs. Regional events can range from informal dinner parties and alumni-led tours to pre-performance cocktail hours and large-scale celebrations. The Office of Alumni Engagement has access to resources that can help fund your event!
- Source dynamic panelists. If you're planning an event with a speaker component, be intentional in your selection. Potential considerations include class year, professional background, inclusive and diverse representation, public speaking experience, and range of involvement while at Oberlin.
- Create a buzz. Share your event far and wide for the best possible turnout!
- Attend and be an engaged host. Arrive early, check in with the venue if necessary, set up ahead of time, make sure special guests have arrived, and be ready to greet and mingle with your fellow Obies!
- Follow up after the event. Share feedback, photos, and event attendance with the Office of Alumni Engagement.
Hosting an Informal Alumni Gathering?
If you’re planning to host a small gathering with alumni and friends, and would like to request an “Event in a Box” that includes Oberlin swag items, please complete this form:
Take pictures throughout the event and send your favorites to the Office of Alumni Engagement at email@example.com for a chance to be featured in an upcoming issue of Around the Square, Oberlin's alumni magazine, or on social media!