VRW Daily Dispatch: Athletics and Wellness
2021 Spring Season Overview
- Four NCAC Athletes of the Week
- Adriano Atallah (men’s track and field; 4/5), Malaika Djungu-Sungu (women’s track and field; 4/12), Emily Tucci (softball pitcher; 4/12), and Kyra Aviles (women’s lacrosse; 4/26)
- Fall Semester Average GPA: 3.62
- After 710 days without a game, softball opened their season with back-to-back, run-rule victories over Allegheny College (13-5, 13-8).
- Women’s lacrosse recorded their largest conference victory (16-2 vs. Wittenberg University) since April 14, 2018, when they beat DePauw University by a 17-goal margin.
- The win over Wittenberg University was also their largest margin of victory against the Tigers in program history.
- Men’s lacrosse defeated NAIA nationally-ranked Lourdes University (#9) in their season-opener (exhibition victory).
- Dominant win (16-4) over Wittenberg University
- Team's only losses came in overtime
- Would have finished third in the conference (improvement from fourth in 2019)
- Head Coach Ryan Pollack only had four weeks to prepare the team for the shortened season as he began his inaugural year with the Yeomen.
- Opened 2021 season with exhibition victory over nationally-ranked #9 Lourdes University (NAIA)
- Overtime victory over Allegheny College, 15-14
- Marks the program's win over Allegheny College
- First OT victory since 3/28/2012 (4-3 victory over Alvernia University)
Track and Field
- No team-scored meets, but consistent first-place finishes in field events
- NCAC Performance Rankings: 59 Top-20 marks, 39 Top-10 records, five conference-best marks
- Opened season with commanding 14-6 win over Hilbert College
- Saw 13 different pitchers take the mound over the course of the season
- Run-ruled and swept their opponent in their season-opener double header (Allegheny College 13-5, 13-8)
- Senior Lawrence Hamilton (baseball) reached 100 career-hits in just 84 games, hitting that milestone with his fourth career home run in his final game.
- Senior Tess Siciliano (women’s lacrosse) reached the 100 career-points mark, only the seventh player in program history to reach that mark.
- First-year Jake Freed (baseball) led the team with a .472 batting average, was named National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association Rookie of the Week on April 7, 2021.
- Adriano Atallah (men’s track and field) set the conference records in the 100-, 200-, and 400-meters, en route to breaking the program records in the 100- and 200-meter dash.
- Junior Cat Moruzzi (softball) hit .464 with 13 hits and 10 RBIs in just eight games played this spring. The 2019 NCAC Newcomer of the Year and all-region honoree, Moruzzi has produced 68 hits in 42 games played for a career batting average of .447.
- Colin Regan (men’s lacrosse) transitioned from a defender to goalie for the season finale against Allegheny College. He had just three days to prepare for the new role and excelled, recording 14 saves and leading the team to their first victory.
For more information, news and highlights from Oberlin College Athletics, visit goyeo.com.