- Associate Professor of Hispanic Studies and Comparative Literature
- BA, Cornell University, 1980
- MA, Yale University, 1991
- PhD, Yale University, 1994
- Latin American Fiction and the Narratives of the Perverse: Paper Dolls and Spider Women (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2004).
- "The Anxiety of the Avunculate: Lezama Lima Reads Martía and Casal," Latin American Literary Review 33.66 (2005): 145-174.
- "John Rechy," for Latino and Latina Writers, Alan West, ed. (Scribner's and Gale Group, 2004).
- "César Aira's Life in Pink: Beyond Gender Games in Cómo me hice monja," Revista Canadiense de Estudios Hispánicos, XXV.2 (2001): 259-76.
- "Deleitando, dilatando, delatando: Una multiplicidad de lectores para El lazarillo de ciegos caminantes," Revista Iberoamericana, 62.175 (1996): 335-60.
- "Melancolía Porteña' and Survivor's Guilt: A Benjaminian Reading of Cortázar's El examen," Latin American Literary Review XXIII.46 (1995): 5-32.
- (With Jorge Salessi) "For Carnival, Clinic, and Camera: Fin-de-Siècle Argentine Drag Culture Performs 'Woman,"' in Diana Taylor and Juan Villegas, ed., Negotiating Performance: Gender, Sexuality and Theatricality in Latin/o America, Duke University Press, 1994, 257-74.
- Post-Dictatorship Southern Cone Literature
- Surrealism and Other Avant-Garde Latin American Prose
- Spanish and Latin American Cinema
- Queer and Psychoanalytic Theory in Latin America
- The Novelists of "El Boom" (Cortázar, García Marquez, Donoso, Fuentes)
- Theories of Modernism and Post-Modernism
- U.S. Latino Literatures and Cultures
- Literature and Politics of Central America
Courses Taught in Past Years
- CMPL 200 Introduction to Comparative Literature
- HISP 202 Intermediate Spanish I
- HISP 318 Survey of Spanish Literature II
- HISP 322 Visions of Mexican Women
- HISP 335 Cuban and Cuban Diaspora Narrative (in English)
- HISP 355 The New Hollywood-Mexico Connection (in English)
- HISP 422 Literature and Politics of Central America
- HISP 435 Islands of History: Twentieth Century Cuban and Puerto Rican Literature
- HISP 436 Literatures of the Dirty Wars
- HISP 452 After Boom and Bust: Latin American Literature Since 1987
- HISP 458 Fantasy and Violence in Argentine Literature, 1930-1955
- FYSP 150 Questioning Reality: The North and South American Fantastic (in English)
- FYSP 151 Surrealist Prose of the Americas (in English)