A small percentage of students are allowed to be released from their residential obligations and seek housing outside of the college.
Permission to live off campus is granted by a random lottery process and is not guaranteed upon application once eligibility requirements are met. Do not sign a lease prior to being granted off-campus status.
Elgibility for Off-Campus Lottery
- You must have six (6) or more semesters of residence projected for the fall semester you wish to live off campus or you qualify for an exemption
- Even if you already have off-campus status this year, you must re-register for the selection process or you may lose your eligibility to be off-campus
- You can begin to apply on-line for the off-campus selection process registration for 2018-19 starting at noon, Wednesday, 10/18/17
- Your registration must be complete by 11:59 p.m. EST, Friday, 11/3/2017
- Eligible students currently on academic leave may apply at this time.
- There will be an off-campus housing fair for interested students to learn about local rental options. The date and location are still being determined.
Registering for Off-Campus Housing Lottery for 2018-19 Academic Year
- Students who want to be considered for off-campus housing status and have 7 or more projected semesters in residence for the fall of 2018 and students who have exemptions will be the first to be approved for off-campus.
- Students who have 7 or more semesters in residence or who have been approved for an off-campus exemption, are not allowed to register with a group. If ResEd finds that this has occurred, the individual will be removed from the group.
- Students who fail to enroll or complete the spring semester may lose either their priority or eligibility for off-campus housing. An academic leave of absence counts as a semester in residence, personal and medical leaves do not.
- Students who are projected to have 6 semesters in residence for the fall of 2018 and want off-campus status may register as a group or as an individual. Students registering as an off-campus group are required to submit the T-Numbers of their group members by the registration deadline. Please note: Only students with six (6) semesters of residence may register as a group. Any member of the group who fails to register online will not be eligible for off-campus housing consideration.
- Individuals or groups who are not approved initially will remain on the waitlist until the ResEd Housing selection weekend. After this weekend, eligible students still wishing to be considered for Off-Campus Status may add their names to the summer housing waitlist. This waitlist begins the Monday after general on-campus housing selection weekend. If the college is able to extend any additional off-campus offers, then only students on the summer housing waitlist will be contacted.
Notification & Acceptance
Our office will notify students of acceptance in early November. Students will have two weeks to decide if they will accept for the following academic year. If a student accepts off-campus status and then changes their mind prior to the ResEd housing selection process in late February, they may re-enter the on-campus housing selection pool with no penalty.
This allows for the majority of students receiving an offer of off-campus status to have an appropriate amount of time to locate a property to live, in the following academic year. Students who are going on leave in the spring will have the opportunity to view potential properties prior to leaving Oberlin. Students who are currently on a leave of absence, will have time to return in the spring and view properties if they are still searching for a rental at that time.
Important Dates: Week of November 6, 2017-All notifications will go out; November, 20, 2017-Deadline for accepting off-campus status