Thinking about life after Oberlin can feel overwhelming. It’s never too soon—or too late—to take advantage of your Career Development Center. Whether you’re a first-year student thinking about choosing a major, or a senior in the midst of your job search, you will find people and resources at the Career Development Center to help you on your way.
Come to Drop-in Hours
Starting Monday, September 16, our fabulous Peer Advisors will be available to help you create a resume or cover letter, improve job search strategies, and navigate online resources. Stop by during Drop-in Hours:
Arts & Sciences
- Weekdays, 3 - 5 PM (Stevenson-Longman)
- Tuesdays, 4 - 6 PM
Schedule an Advising Appointment
Our experienced advisors have a broad range of expertise and are happy to meet with students as well as recent alumni, either in person or by phone or Skype.
There are three ways to schedule an appointment:
- Online - log in to Handshake anytime
- Call 440-775-8140
- Stop by the office in Stevenson-Longman
Please don't hesitate to use your chosen name! The office is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Typical conversations may cover:
- Exploring personal interests, values and skills
- Choosing/changing a major
- Career exploration...what's out there?
Finding opportunities to acquire knowledge, experience and education
- Obtaining a Winter Term or summer internship
- Applying to music festival and competitions
- Finding opportunities within the Oberlin community
- Transitioning to a post-Oberlin life
- Identifying and researching potential employers
- Planning for and applying to graduate and professional school
- Planning and applying to fellowships
Developing skills for effective self-presentation
- Developing a resume, cover letter, essay and/or other application
- Preparing for auditions
- Preparing for job, internship, fellowship and graduate school interviews
- Connecting with alumni to learn about career fields
Appointments & Advising No-Show Policy
We understand that unexpected academic obligations, work commitments, and illnesses can affect your schedule. However, please advise the Career Development Center of any change as early as possible, as there is a high demand for appointments. Your cancellation will allow us to offer your time slot to another student. Be sure to check your schedule carefully in order to avoid multiple appointment cancellations.