Engaged German takes what you’re learning in your courses and puts it into practice through internships, research, study away, winter term, career exploration, and beyond.
Here’s a sampling of recent projects, field experiences, and post-graduate destinations for German majors.
Ways German Majors Rise
- German-Persian Connections: Goethe and Hafez in Dialogue in the West-östlicher Divan
- Schönberg’s Moses und Aron and Modernism’s Bilderverbot
- City and Society in Works by Schnitzler and Mu Shiying
- Exploring the Use of the Organ in the Moravian Church in America and Its Influence on American Sacred Music
- Terrell Main Library, Oberlin College, German rare book and manuscript collection
- Publicity assistant for German poet and activist Esther Dischereit, Berlin
- Winter term intensive, Beginning German course instructors
- Affiliate marketing for HBO, NYC
- Art assistant, Columbia Pictures, NYC
- Senator John Heinz History Center, Pa.
- Assistant to German Immersion Summer Courses, Ala.
- Research intern, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, France
- BCA Study Abroad in Marburg, Germany
- German Exchange Scholarship (various German universities)
- Duke in Berlin, Germany
- Dresden University Studies Program (Boston University)
- Junior year in Munich
- Competitive summer stipends for study in Germany, Austria, or Switzerland
- Max Kade House (German House): a program house at Oberlin for students who want to learn and speak German; opportunities to engage in social, cultural, and academic activities in German
- Annual German writer-in-residence seminar
- The annual Translation Symposium enables students to present original translations in a public forum.
- The Artist as Mediator: Peter Stephan Jungk’s Writing Between History and Fiction is a media-rich course featuring curatorial projects and collaborative engagement with Oberlin scholars from Russian, cinema studies, and musicology that culminates in a week-long residency and creative writing workshop with Peter Ju.
First Destinations of Recent German Majors
- Graduate Schools:
- PhD in German literature at Yale University, University of Virginia, and University of California, Berkeley
- PhD in anthropology at University of Virginia
- JD at University of Illinois School of Law
- MBA at Vanderbilt University
- MA in cross cultural & international education at Bowling Green State University
- MA in history at Indiana University
- Master’s program at Vienna School of International Studies
- Fulbright and DAAD research and teaching fellows in Germany
- USTA fellows in Austria
- Director and deputy general counsel at Citi/London overseeing legal transactions with German institutions
- Internship at VICE Media, Germany
- Professors of German at Washington University in St. Louis, Davidson College, Oberlin College, and University of Arizona
- Professional translators
- Assistant location manager, Search Party Productions, NYC