Max Kade Memorial Lecture
The annual lecture is presented by Oberlin’s Departments of German Studies and Russian and is funded by grants from the Max Kade Foundation of New York. Established here in 1975, the lecture features prominent writers, academics, philosophers, translators, and others who specialize in German language, literature, culture, history, and education.
Harold Jantz Memorial Lecture
The Harold Jantz Memorial Lectureship honors the memory of one of the most distinguished literary scholars among Oberlin graduates. It was established in 1988 through the generosity of family, friends, colleagues, former students, and Oberlin classmates of Harold Jantz. The endowed lectureship fund supports public lectures and symposia in one of the fields of his professional interests: German literature and literary history, German and American literary relations, art and art history, and bibliophilism.
The chair of the Department of German Studies, the director of libraries, and the director of the Allen Memorial Art Museum in regular rotation select the lectures and programs each year.
The lectureship is a lasting tribute to Jantz, an Elyria, Ohio, native and 1929 graduate of Oberlin College. He earned a PhD in comparative literature with a focus on German literature at the University of Wisconsin in Madison. Jantz went on to become a Goethe scholar and an authority on early American literature. He taught at Princeton, Johns Hopkins, and Duke Universities, and the Universities of Hamburg and Vienna.