Engaged Creative Writing
Engaged Creative Writing takes what you’re learning in your courses and puts it into practice through internships, research, study away, winter term, career exploration, and beyond.
Here’s a sampling of recent projects, field experiences, and post-graduate destinations for creative writing majors.
RISE at Oberlin
Research. Internships. Study Away. Experiential Learning.
Ways Creative Writing Majors Rise
- Black Ekphrasis Anthology: African-American Poems on the Visual Arts
- The OuLiPo: Research on the Movement, and Development of Constraint-Based Assignments
- Contextualizing Jewelle Gomez’s The Gilda Stories within a Black (Queer) Literary and Cultural Tradition
- Poetry by Langston: Lessons Taught and Learned through Writers-in-the-Schools (WITS)
- The Vagrant: Where the Soviet Love of Bollywood Began
- Imagine Trees Like These: A Virtual Reality Narrative concerning Forests, Futurity, and Ephemerality
- The PEN/Faulkner Foundation, Washington, DC: literary events intern
- Fine Arts Work Center, Provincetown, MA: development intern
- Pronto Comics, New York City: editing scripts and blog posts
- Maya Universe Academy, Udhin Dhunga, Nepal: providing quality education to children in Nepal
- The Moth, New York City: assist with production and post-production
- Elizabeth Kaplan Literary Agency: manuscript reader
- International Studio & Curatorial Program, Brooklyn, NY: communications & development intern
- Tin House Books, Portland, OR: marketing & publicity intern
- Queer Eye, Los Angeles, CA; production intern
- Prague Film School, Czech Republic
- International Perspectives on Sexuality and Gender, Netherlands
- Danenberg Oberlin-in-London Program, England
- Tel Aviv University School for Overseas Students, Israel
- Associated Kyoto Program Doshisha University, Japan
- National University of Ireland, Galway
- School for International Training (SIT), Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- WITS Writing in the Schools, partnership with Langston Middle School in Oberlin
First Destinations of Recent Creative Writing Majors
- Editorial assistant, ABRAMS Books
- Literary assistant, The Clegg Literary Agency
- Fulbright Fellows in Taiwan and Malaysia
- Shansi Fellows to teach English in China and Indonesia
- Marketing associate, eSpark Learning, Ill.
- Tutor & teaching assistant, AmeriCorps.
- Teacher, Teach for America, Los Angeles
- Paralegal, Law Offices of Virginia Prihoda, Ill.
- Arts educator, 826 Valencia, San Francisco
- High school English teacher, South Korea
- Editing specialist, Apolish, Washington D.C.
- Post-production assistant, Ice Lens Pictures, Ohio
- Research analyst for Carnegie India
- Pardes Institute Scholar, Israel
- Writer’s room director, 826 Boston
- Assistant engineer, Nightsound Studios, N.C.
- Graduate Schools:
- MA in poetry, Queen’s University, Ireland
- MA in writing, Johns Hopkins University
- Master of Library and Information Sciences, University of Wisconsin
- Master’s of Divinity, University of Chicago
- MFA, Writer’s Workshop, University of Iowa
- MFA, University of Alabama
- MFA, George Mason University
- MFA, Brown University
- MFA, Columbia University
- MA in education, Boston University
- Master’s in Education, Teachers College of Columbia University
- MD, University of Massachusetts Medical School
- MD, Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine
- JD, University of California, Davis, Law School
- JD, University of Chicago Law School
- JD, Columbia Law School