Engaged Studio Art
Engaged Studio Art takes what you’re learning in your courses and puts it into practice through internships, research, study away, winter term, career exploration, and beyond.
Here’s a sampling of recent projects, field experiences, and post-graduate destinations for studio art majors.
RISE at Oberlin
Research. Internships. Study Away. Experiential Learning.
Ways Studio Art Majors Rise
- Interdisciplinary studio and thematic seminar courses are taught in drawing, painting, printmaking, photography, book arts, sculpture, installation, and digital media.
- Students have access to the internationally acclaimed Allen Memorial Art Museum at Oberlin, the Cleveland Museum of Art, MOCA Cleveland, and the Toledo Museum of Art.
- The Clarence Ward Art Library in the Allen Art complex offers a wide selection of books, catalogues, periodicals, and artists’ books, as well as the unique Mail Art collection.
- Highpoint Center for Printmaking, Minn.
- SPACES, Ohio
- The Sculpture Center, Ohio
- MASS MoCA, Mass.
- Spudnik Press, Ill.
- Wexner Center for the Arts, Ohio
- Eyebeam, NYC
- MOMA, NYC
- LACMA, Calif.
- Jewish Museum, NYC
- Associated Kyoto Program Doshisha University, Japan
- Center for University Programs Abroad, France
- DIS– Study Abroad in Scandinavia
- NYU Prague, Czech Republic
- Siena Art Institute, Italy
- Studio Arts College International, Italy
- Temple University in Rome
- Rijksakademie, Netherlands
- Bard College in Berlin
- Studio art emphasizes conceptual and technical development through rigorous discourse and hands-on creation across disciplines.
- The Ellen Johnson Fund for Contemporary Art allows numerous visiting artists to come to campus each year to interact with students. The alumni speaker series “Pathways” brings studio art graduates back to campus to share their experiences.
- Studio art houses numerous labs and studios specific to historical and contemporary art-making processes, as well as multiple exhibition and work spaces.
First Destinations of Recent Studio Art Majors
- Social media coordinator at Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles
- Teaching artist at Borderlands Theater, N.M.
- Curriculum writing fellow at Bridge International Academies, Mass.
- Studio assistant at Dieu Donné, NYC
- Designer at Super Deluxe, Los Angeles
- Archive assistant at Art Institute of Chicago
- Intern at Women’s Studio Workshop, NYC
- Curator of net art/digital culture at Rhizome/New Museum, NYC
- Graduate Schools:
- MFA at Carnegie Mellon, Columbia College, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Yale, Eugeniusz Geppert Academy of Art and Design (Poland), and Royal Academy (England)
- MArch at Rice University
- MA at CalArts
- MSEd at Bank Street College of Education
- Pre-med at Columbia
- Filmmaking at CalArts
- Graphic design at Tufts
- Residencies & Fellowships:
- Fish Factory Creative Center, Stöðvarfjörður, Iceland
- Casa Na Ilha, Brazil
- Spudnik Press, Ill.
- Penland School of Crafts Core Fellowship, N.C.
- DAMLI Graduate Institute, Cleveland Museum of Arts
- Summer Studio Program at Virginia Commonwealth University
- New York Arts Practicum, NYC