Art department faculty and students have several places on and off campus to conceptualize, create, and show their artwork.
These spaces include studios for seniors working on capstone projects, ancillary classroom spaces in downtown Oberlin for small group instruction and experiential projects, faculty studios, and galleries for student, faculty, alumni, and guest artists to exhibit their work throughout the year.
When originally built this 200 seat auditorium located in the center of the Clarence Ward ‘37 Addition contained a “multitude of modern conveniences” including dimmable lights, automatic curtains, and a public address system.
In 1994 with the generous support of Milton L. Fisher, the auditorium was transformed into Fisher Hall, a multipurpose gallery and lecture facility. Fisher Hall continues to serve the department hosting a variety of installations and performances including exhibitions in the department's capstone Senior Studio program.
North and South Domes
Originally built in the 1960s from prefabricated geodesic kits, the North and South Domes were built and erected by student and faculty volunteers and used for introductory studio classes and sculpture woodshop. Renovated in the early 1980s to the present structure, the Domes are now home to the art department’s drawing program.
Richard D. Baron ’64 Gallery
Thanks to a generous donation from Richard D. Baron, Class of 1964, the art department is privileged to have this beautiful multiuse exhibition facility. The gallery was dedicated October 9, 2010, and has since provided exhibition and event opportunities to a variety of student, faculty, local, and international artists.
Prior to the art department occupying this historic downtown location in 2008, the second floor of the Hobbs building was a tattoo parlor. It now houses private student studios servicing the department’s capstone Senior Studio program and advanced individual projects.
Hales Gym Art Area
Built in 1939 in honor of Lina R. Hales by her son, G. Willard Hales, Class of 1900, Hales Gymnasium was originally built as a physical education space for women. It is now home to a assorted classrooms, offices, and other uses. The lower level Hales Art Studio accommodates a variety of curricular needs and provides opportunities for students to work large in a variety of media including installation and performance.
East College Street Classroom
This small, modern classroom offers faculty and students a flexible studio experience augmenting the existing curriculum in drawing, painting, printmaking, and advanced individual projects.
164 E. Lorain St.
Originally built as an automobile dealership, 164 E. Lorain St. was purchased by Oberlin College in 1988 and was converted to its current configuration to provide art faculty with research studios.
55 E. Lorain St.
In 1968, to alleviate crowding in the 1937 Clarence Ward addition, the department was given possession of the “Yellow House” on the corner of Lorain Street and Willard Court. The basement and first floor were used for sculpture classes while the second floor was used for semi-private studios. Now clad in Blue siding, this is the home of faculty studios.
Originally built in an apple orchard in 1909 by Maynard Metcalf as a zoology and botany laboratory, this building was purchased by the Oberlin Kindergarten Primary Training School in 1926. It was sold to Oberlin College in 1932, then leased to the Oberlin Public Schools as a kindergarten until closing in1980. It now services art faculty as research studios.
James R. Severance was the treasurer of Oberlin College and commissioned this house to be built in 1896. After his death in 1916, his wife and daughter lived in the house until 1942. Julia was an artist and had the “all-glass” addition built onto the barn located at the rear of the property as a studio and is credited with designing the new college seal in 1911.
Her all-glass addition continues as a faculty art studio.
Want to host an event in the Baron Gallery? Download and complete the event application. Submit it to Jamie Jacobs in Art Building 2, room 166 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org .