Our weeklong Orientation strives to provide students and parents with a clear sense of expectations, an introduction to the Oberlin community, and essential information to help you make a successful academic and social transition.
Orientation runs from August 24-28, 2020 and is required for all incoming students.
Orientation week officially begins with the opening of residence halls at 9 a.m., Monday, August 24. Once you move in and get settled, we’ll introduce you to the wide range of resources available in the college and conservatory.
Although the new schedule isn’t yet available, during Orientation week you can expect to:
- meet your academic advisor,
- finalize your class schedule and or auditions,
- get to know your PAL (Peer Advising Leader) and RA (Resident Assistant),
- make new friends,
- learn important policies,
- enjoy concerts and other social activities,
- learn about our local community, and
- experience a full-day Connect Cleveland adventure.
We have a parent orientation as well. Incoming Obie parents and families will:
- learn ways to support your student as they transition into college,
- meet helpful faculty, administrators, and support staff that your student will engage with during their first year,
- have a chance to ask any questions, and
- gain peace of mind that Oberlin is the right place for your student.
Parent orientation will conclude by 4:30 p.m., on Tuesday, August 25 with the Ready to Launch program for parents.
There will be a comprehensive schedule added as Orientation draws near, but if you have a question, don’t hesitate to reach out to Tina Zwegat, director of Orientation.
Pre-Orientation for International Students
Oberlin’s Pre-Orientation for International Students provides opportunities for international newcomers to meet one another. Targeted programs and events will help with your transition to Oberlin and living in the United States. Be sure to stop by the International Student Resource Center, whose staff can assist you with everything from Visa status to getting around campus.
Prepare for Arrival
Wondering what you need to do before you get here? Find out about registration forms, packing, shipping, and more.