Office for Disability and Access

Housing and Dining Accommodations

Oberlin College & Conservatory considers residential life integral to a student’s development and believes that having students living and dining together fosters community, discourse, and debate.  Therefore, all students must live in college housing (ResEd) or an Oberlin Student Cooperative Association (OSCA) co-op and participate in one of the dining programs through graduation unless an exemption has been granted.  

Students with disabilities may apply for housing and/or dining accommodations which could include off-board or other reasonable modifications by following the Procedures for Requesting Housing and Dining Accommodations. The College requires supporting documentation from an appropriately licensed professional that clearly identifies the student's disability-related barriers to access and how the requested accommodation will mitigate or remove those barriers. Please be aware that a diagnosis of a medical condition in and of itself does not automatically qualify a student for disability accommodations. Additionally, a provider recommendation alone does not automatically qualify a student for disability accommodations. Housing and dining accommodation requests are brought before a  multi-disciplinary committee of Oberlin College & Conservatory staff members with relevant expertise, such as housing, dietary issues, disabilities, and physical and mental health.

Housing Accommodation Request Timeline

Deadlines are established to allow for accommodation consideration before the general Res Ed selection process begins. Only complete requests will be considered, so students are advised to start the process early to allow adequate time to obtain the required documentation from their health care provider. Incomplete request materials will delay the eligibility determination. Accommodation requests made outside the established deadlines, even if approved by ODA, are not guaranteed and are based on availability. 

General Housing and Dining Requests
Student Status Full Academic Year/Fall  Spring Semester (only)
First-year and New Transfer students June 1st January 1
Continuing/Returning students  April 1st  November 1
Emotional Support Animal (ESA) Requests
Fall Semester Spring Semester
June 1st October 1st 

Policies and Procedures: 

Housing Accommodation Policy and Procedures

Emotional Support Animal (ESA) Policy and Procedures