Office for Disability and Access

Current Students

Eligibility for Resources

In order for a student to be eligible for accommodation on the basis of disability status, they must be a person with a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), its Amendment Act of 2008, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and its revision of 1974.

Under those laws, a person has a disability if they have “a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities (e.g., walking, standing, seeing, speaking, hearing, breathing, learning, working, or taking care of oneself), has a record of such an impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment.”

If you are interested in volunteering as a peer note-taker for one of your classes, please sign up here!

Notetaker Application

Carefully read and follow steps 1-10. 

  1. Go to  ODA Online.

  2. Log in using your ObieID and password.

  3. Read and sign any pending E-Forms. Contact with any questions!

  4. If you want to permit ODA staff to speak with anyone other than you,  complete the Information Release Consent/Family Release. See our policy on Information Release Consent/Family Release. 

  5.  Scroll down the page to the Search for a Course section. If you do not see one or more of your courses, please email the Office for Disability & Access.

  6. Select each course in which you are requesting accommodations.

  7. Select - Continue to Customize Your Accommodations.

  8. For each course, select all accommodations you want to use in that class. You may customize the letter for each course if you choose. When finished, select "Submit Your Accommodation Requests."

  9. The Office for Disability & Access portal sends the Accommodation Letter to your professor via email. You will receive an email copy as well.

  10. Please remember you are strongly encouraged to meet with your professor to discuss your accommodations.

Carefully read steps 1-7 before signing into the portal.

  1. Go to  ODA Online.
  2. Login using your ObieID and password.
  3. The first time you sign into the portal, you will be asked to complete a Confidentiality Agreement regardless if you signed a paper copy. This is a one-time process; you may add or retract permissions.
  4. If you want ODA staff to speak with anyone other than yourself, complete the Information Release Consent/Family Release.  
  5. Navigate to 'Home' on the left side of your Overview and select 'Additional Accommodation Request Form.'
  6. Select the form that appropriately corresponds with your request. You can choose either 1.) Housing or Dining Accommodation Request Form OR 2) Academic Accommodation Request Form.  
  7. If you have documentation to upload with your request, upload it after completing the application. If you do not have documentation, no worries! You can discuss that with an ODA staff member during your meeting. 

In keeping with our mission to encourage self-advocacy, the Office for Disability & Access facilitates an interactive process where students actively participate in the accommodation process. Students should:

  • Register with the Office for Disability & Access (ODA) and request accommodations in a timely fashion;

  • Arrange specific details of requested accommodations with faculty and staff members;

  • Maintain the same academic standards required of all Oberlin College students, including timely completion of academic work; and 

  • Abide by the Oberlin Student Conduct and Community Standards on such matters as academic honesty and behavior.