Engaged Comparative American Studies takes what you’re learning in your courses and puts it into practice through internships, research, study away, winter term, career exploration, and beyond.
Here’s a sampling of recent projects, field experiences, and post-graduate destinations for comparative American studies majors.
Ways Comparative American Studies Majors Rise
- Art and Community Formation: A Case Study in West Oakland, Calif.
- Exploring the Role of Educational Environments in the Adjustment of Asian Immigrants and Refugees to NE Ohio
- Adaptation to Migration: The Great Migration and its Impact on Chicago Politics from 1900-1920
- Aloha, Marriage Equality: Unsettling Gay Constructions of Paradise
- Strategic Actions for a Just Economy, Los Angeles: supporting research on conditions in poor communities
- Storefront Academy, N.Y.: coordinating events and conducting donor research
- Lorain County WISE: Women in Sustainable Employment and Enterprise, Oberlin: researching and analyzing data to help improve success rates for low-income single mothers
- The Obama White House, Washington, DC: helping coordinate oversight and implementation efforts related to the President’s Climate Action Plan
- ASIA, Inc. (Asian Services in Action) in Cleveland and other locations: immigrant services, after-school programs
- Summer research intern, New York State Association for Affordable Housing, N.Y.
- Border Studies Program in Mexico and Tucson, Ariz.
- Social Change in Central America: Exploring Peace, Justice, and Community Engagement
- Council on International Educational Exchange in Buenos Aires and other countries
- Center for Global Education and Experience at Augsburg University
- Nation Building, Globalization, and Decolonizing the Mind: South Africa/ Namibia
- Exploring Cleveland as part of the Cleveland Immersion Program
- Conducting oral histories with members of the Lorain Latinx community
- Conducting legal research for pending asylum cases for the Ohio Immigrant Worker Project
- Docenting and facilitating field trips for the Courage and Compassion exhibit on Japanese internment history
First Destinations of Recent Comparative American Studies Majors
- Fulbright in Brazil, Turkey, Slovakia, Poland
- Watson Fellowship
- Graduate Schools:
- Master’s program in public policy analysis, NYU
- MS in library and information science, Mass.
- Master of Health Policy Management, Harvard School of Public Health
- MD, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- MFA, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Master of Global Policy, LBH School of Public Affairs, University of Texas at Austin
- Master of Public Policy, University of Michigan
- Assistant dean of admissions, Hamilton College, N.Y.
- Research assistant, University of Michigan
- Experiential educators program, Israel
- Quest interpreter at Bronx Zoo, N.Y.
- Family and youth advocate for Casa de Esperanza, Minn.
- Research assistant, Centro de Investigación y Docencia Económicas, Oaxaca, Mexico
- Patient care coordinator, Free Clinic Southwest Washington, Vancouver, Wash.