87 N. Main St.,
Oberlin, OH 44074
The Department of Art occupies two buildings adjacent to the Allen Memorial Art Museum. The Clarence Ward ’37 Art Building, also referred to as the Ward Art Building, was designed by alumnus and founding museum director Clarence Ward.
Ward’s design included much-needed addition for lecture rooms, an auditorium, and administrative offices. His design matched that of Cass Gilbert, architect of the art museum.
The building opened in 1938, and continues to serve its original functions, except for the auditorium. It was repurposed as a student gallery space—Fisher Gallery.
Along with Fisher Gallery, the Ward Art Building has an outdor courtyard, and provides space for art history classes, painting and silkscreen studios, and the Visual Resources Collection.