Applying to study away is a two-step process that involves
1. applying to Oberlin for approval and
2. applying directly to study away programs.
Discuss study away plans with major advisor
Research study away programs at https://studyaway.oberlin.edu/
Attend study away application information session
Schedule an appointment with study away advisor as necessary
Begin the online application
Step 1: Apply to Oberlin for Approval
Deadline: March 15, 2018
You're required to meet this deadline in order to obtain institutional approval for an academic leave of absence to study away during the fall 2018 or spring 2019 semester, or the 2018-19 academic year.
Oberlin’s study away application requires initial selection of one or two specific programs of interest per term (semester). Certain study away programs have application deadlines that are earlier than Oberlin’s March 15 approval deadline. In this event, the Office of Study Away will inform the specific program that your academic leave approval is “contingent upon review by a faculty committee at a later date.”
We encourage all students to apply to their specific program(s) by March 1 for the subsequent fall semester or full academic year, and by October 1 for the subsequent spring study away semester.
For spring semester applications only: if you have not decided on a specific program choice by the March 15 deadline, you may select a “spring to be determined” program.
1. Go to the application at https://studyaway.oberlin.edu/. Click “log in” in the top right corner.
2. If you are logging onto this website for the first time, you will click the 'programs' link at the top left side of the page. On the next page click the 'List All' button, which will bring up in alpha order all of the Oberlin-affiliated study away programs. Locate a program that interests you, highlight the title to select it, and click on the 'Apply Now' or 'Request Info' button. This will save the selection to your home page. You may also request advising from the program brochure page as well if it is offered.
3. Next, you’ll be prompted to indicate how you will be logging in. Please choose the first button: “I have an ObieID username and password” and click the 'Submit' button, which will bring you to the login page. Your username is your ObieID (for example, if your name is William Shaunessey your user name would be with Wshaunes).
4. Log in with your ObieID and password, and click "First-Time User Applicant." You will log in with your ObieID and password each time you return to studyaway.oberlin.edu.
5. Edit your profile (optional).
6. Search for programs. Click the “Search Programs” button at the top of your page.
7. Save programs of interest by clicking the disk icon on the right side of the page. Click on the home icon in the top left corner to view your saved programs.
8. Once you have decided on the program or programs for which you will apply, locate that program either in your profile or by using “Search Programs.” Open the program brochure and click “Apply now” to start your application.
Note: You may apply to one or two programs for each semester of leave.
9. For non-affiliated programs, please choose the program called “Non-Affiliated Program” and complete all sections as instructed.
10. Complete the Application Questionnaires section. Be sure to save your work frequently. You may also create and work on portions of your application in Word format and paste it into the online application.
a. Click on and complete Application: Part 1 and Application: Part 2.
Note: You may copy your answers from one program application to another if you choose to do so and it is appropriate. You will find a drop down menu on the questionnaire that says, “Load Responses From.” This will allow you to select the program application from which you want to copy the answers.
b. Click on the Application Approval Form. Then click on the link for your degree program (Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Music, or Double Degree) and download the form to your desktop.
c. Complete the Application Approval Form. Once complete, print a copy to take to your advisor for discussion and approval signature.
d. Upload the completed Application Approval Form by opening the Application Approval Form Questionnaire and clicking on the yellow folder icon.
Note for students who are applying to two programs: You should upload the same signed and completed Application Approval Form for each application you submit.
11. Click the document(s) under Learning Content to view and read, then check the “Received” box to confirm that you have read and understood the information.
12. Read and confirm the information in the Signature Document section of the online application.
13. Be sure to click “submit” once your application is complete.
Step 2: Apply to the Specific Study Away Program(s)
Depending on the application date for the specific program(s) you have chosen, and the semester in which you are hoping to study away, you may apply to the program before, at the same time as, or after, applying for permission from Oberlin to be away.
We strongly encourage you to apply no later than March 1 for fall or full academic year programs and by October 1 for spring programs.
Note: Some programs may have earlier deadlines, while others may fill up prior to their stated deadlines. Early applications are advised.
1. Determine the application process and deadline for the program(s) that you hope to attend.
2. Even if you have not yet received approval from Oberlin, you may wish to begin the program application(s).
3. Request any required transcripts, recommendations, or approvals from the appropriate offices.