Oberlin Public Library was first operated in 1947 by means of a contract between the city of Oberlin and Oberlin College. The college purchased the empty Fazio’s grocery store in 1989, then sold the building and land to the Public Library trustees for $10.
Oberlin residents passed a bond issue that same year to pay for renovations and furnishings. In December 1990, the library moved from the Carnegie Building on campus to its current location. The single-story modern building is in the heart of downtown Oberlin and offers a range of library services, including children’s programs, community events, classes on technology and computer skills, and more. The library is supported by the Friends of Oberlin Public Library, a local nonprofit organization.