The Training Experience
The training program at OCCC provides a broad range of clinical opportunities such as individual and group therapy, individual and group supervision, assessment, campus outreach and consultation, on-call emergency services, and provision of supervision to psychology graduate students.
OCCC is committed to providing a training experience that further prepares students to function as generalists, comfortable in the many roles assumed by university counseling center practitioners. Therefore, a broad range of training experiences are offered.
Direct Service Activities
These include a range of services and usually comprises at least 50 percent of a postdoctoral resident’s duties. These include, but are not limited to:
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Couples Counseling
- Assessment Activities
- Group Counseling
- Outreach and Consultation Activities
Postdoctoral residents typically see 18-22 clients in a 40-hour work week. In addition, residents receive two hours of individual supervision weekly and one hour of group supervision bibiweeklweekly with licensed psychologists. Campus outreach services are also available, which may occur during or after work hours.
The position offers a stipend as well as health benefits. Postdoctoral residents are entitled to 18 vacation days, 5 sick days, and college holidays. Residents are also provided with a private, furnished office equipped with their own phone (with voicemail), a personal computer, and a camera to record sessions.
Supervision and Training Activities
- Individual Supervision (1-2 hours per week)
- Group Supervision (2 hours a month)
- Case Conference (1 hour every month)
- Trainee Seminars (as they occur)
- Provision of Supervision (first and or second semester)
Our 90-minute staff meetings occur weekly and are required for postdoctoral residents. Resident input is highly valued at these meetings due to their fresh perspective and creative ideas. Very often these staff meetings are used for in-service training and senior staff case consultations.
The Counseling Center can accommodate one postdoctoral resident each year.
Terms of Service
The Postdoctoral Residency is a 10-month position, beginning August 15 and ending June 15. Residents are expected to work full time, 40 hours a week, and be present in the center between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Currently graduated or anticipated graduation before residency begins from a clinical psychology or counseling psychology doctoral program.
- Preference will be given to students who have experience in college counseling centers.
We will accept and review application materials throughout the month of January; interviews will take place during the month of February. Please submit the following:
- Letter of interest summarizing relevant experience and training
- Current resume or vita
- Contact information for at least three references