The training program at the Counseling Center (OCCC) provides a broad range of clinical opportunities such as individual and group therapy, individual and group supervision, assessment, and campus outreach and consultation.
Practicum students are provided the use of a furnished office and personal computer during their scheduled clinical hours. Office time will also be provided in order to complete documentation and review therapy recordings. Practicum students share offices with the psychiatry staff and have access to these offices on the days that psychiatric services are not provided (typically Wednesdays and Fridays).
Supervision and Training Activities
- Individual Supervision (1-2 hours per week)
- Group Supervision (2 hours a month)
- Case Conference (1 hour every month)
- Trainee Seminars (as they occur)
Available positions: The Counseling Center can accommodate two to three practicum students each year.
Terms of Service
Trainees begin working the week before fall semester. This usually falls around the fourth week of August. Orientation is provided during that first week. It is typical for trainees to work approximately 8-16 hours per week, with 8-10 of those hours potentially being client contact hours. We ask that practicum-level trainees split their hours between two different days of the week, preferably Wednesdays and Fridays.
Trainees are asked to be present during the center’s hours of operation, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Trainees may stay later than 5 p.m. to complete paperwork as needed.
- Currently a student in a doctoral program in counseling or clinical psychology
- Preference will be given to students who have completed at least one prior year of practicum experience.
We will accept and review application materials throughout the month of February and interviews will take place during the month of March.
- Letter of interest summarizing relevant experience and training and clear specifications for the number of practicum hours per week needed
- Current resume or vita
- Contact information for at least three references