Your ObieID is your primary Oberlin College technology account. It provides access to most online services including email, course registration, OberView, Blackboard, a license for Microsoft Office 365, and more.
Get an ObieID
After you have paid the deposit to Oberlin, your ObieID will be sent via email to the personal email address used on your admissions application.
New Faculty and Staff
After the Department of Human Resources has created your employee record, your ObieID will be sent via email to the personal email address used on your job application.
Before You Begin
Locate the welcome email sent to your personal email address. Before you begin activating your account, make sure you have:
- Your ObieID. Your username beginning with your first initial and ending with the first seven letters of your last name (e.g., jsmith).
- Your temporary password. The password issued to you along with your ObieID, usually a string of 8 random characters.
- A smartphone or YubiKey hardware token. During activation, you’ll be prompted to set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) with Okta. Take a few minutes ahead of time review the the Okta Multi-Factor Options at-a-Glance and decide whether you’ll use your smartphone to enroll or would prefer to get a YubiKey.
To activate your ObieID, you must have either a smartphone that is compatible with Okta Verify or a YubiKey to set up multi-factor authentication. If you require a need-based exemption or Okta Verify is not available through the app store in your home country, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible, including your ObieID and a brief explanation in your email. CIT staff will work with you on a case-by-case basis to find the best MFA solution for you.
Setting Up Your ObieID
- Visit OberView. Search for and launch the Manage my ObieID Account task.
- Enter your ObieID and temporary password.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to change the temporary password to a strong password of your choice.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to enroll in multi-factor authentication (MFA). MFA will help prevent your password from being stolen, guessed, or hacked.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to establish a secondary email address, an SMS-capable phone number, and/or a phone number where you can receive voice calls to receive temporary verification codes from Oberlin College.
- Once you’ve set a password, MFA, and password recovery options, you can use your ObieID to log in to your Oberlin Gmail account and more.