Be an Oberlin Blogger: September 2014 Edition
Do you have the ideas, drive, and chops to be an Oberlin blogger? (We think you do; you're an Obie, aren't you?) Applications are due on Monday, September 22nd.
You're great. You want to make great things. We're here to help.
And here's what you have to do to show us. Pitch your Oberlin blog to us and be sure to answer the following questions:
What kind of story do you want to share?
This is the underlying theme or guiding mission for your posts this year and beyond. State it in a sentence or two, and why you'd like to share this story on the Oberlin blogs.
Some possible ideas (but in no way are you limited to these things we just came up with... be creative!)
- My Year in Snapshots
- The People I've Met
- An Event A Day Keeps The Doctor Away
- The Anatomy Of A College Dorm Room
- Making Heads and Tales of College
- Sounds and Songs: Audio Stories From Around Campus
(Think a themed Tumblr blog... but... on the Oberlin blogs. Because that would be super awesome. And we like super awesome.)
How will you share this story on the Oberlin blogs?
- What forms of media will help you tell your story?
- How often will you post?
- Give us a demonstration of the kind of posts you'll be sharing as a part of your blog project. (This means examples! Show us your drawings, videos, writing... build your case by showing us exactly what we can expect from you and how you're qualified to do it! At least one example is required, and we would enjoy two or three.)
How can we help you make your blog series the best it can be?
We behind the scenes at the Oberlin blogs are here to make your great work shine and assure that it's seen by lots of people -- let us know what we can do to assist. Include things like:
- I work best when ____________.
- The Oberlin blogs expect one post every two weeks. To assure that I adhere to this posting schedule, please _____________.
- I'm good at the following things ______________ when I work but I will probably need help _____________ to make sure my work the best. (Don't worry, we provide full training on our blogging platform if you join our ranks!)
- Ideally, by the end of this year, I hope that this blog will ______________.
Okay. That's the hard part. The nitty gritty details are as follows:
All blog proposals are due on Monday, September 22nd. Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following info:
- Your blog proposal, supporting portfolio, and answers to the "making the best blog" questions.
- Your major or intended major.
- A brief overview of what you do outside of class (athletics, student organizations, etc.).
- Your local residence (dorm or off-campus) as well as your hometown.
- A few sentences on why you want to be an Oberlin blogger.
Ready? GO! We look forward to reviewing your applications!