Engaged Psychology takes what you’re learning in your courses and puts it into practice through internships, research, study away, winter term, career exploration, and beyond.
Here’s a sampling of recent projects, field experiences, and post-graduate destinations for psychology majors.
Ways Psychology Majors Rise
- More than 80 percent of our graduating majors reported conducting research with faculty outside of class during their time at Oberlin. Many graduating majors co-authored scientific conference posters and/or published journal articles.
- Oberlin and the psychology department help cover the costs of presenting research at scientific conferences.
- Core areas of psychology study include clinical, cognitive, developmental, and social.
Internships and Experiential Learning
- YWCA–Girls’ Circle, Elyria, Ohio
- Early Childhood Center, Oberlin, Ohio
- Health & Disability Advocates, Chicago
- Alliance for Children’s Rights, Los Angeles
- Injection Drug Users’ Health Alliance, New York City
- University of Denver, Adolescent Relationships Lab
- Cambridge Health Alliance, Division on Addiction, Mass.
- Rowan University, Alcohol Administration Research Lab, Glassboro, N.J.
- University of California, San Diego, Eating Disorder Research Program
- University of Chicago, Infant Cognition Lab
- Harvard University Music Lab, Cambridge, Mass.
- Gallaudet University (“dedicated to the deaf and hard of hearing”), Washington, DC
- Danish Institute for Study Abroad, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Danenberg Oberlin in London Program, England
- University of Canterbury, New Zealand
- Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
- Pontificia Universidad in Valparaiso, Valparaiso, Chile
First Destinations of Recent Psychology Majors
- Global marketing, Estée Lauder Companies, New York City
- Digital learning design manager, AbbVie Pharmaceuticals, Chicago
- Market intelligence analyst, Netpop
- Software tester, Epic
- Staff assistant, Entegrit, New York City
- Fulbright Fellow, South Africa
- Fellow, United Nations Institute for Training and Research
- Marketing coordinator, Whitney Museum, New York City
- Enrollment specialist, New York City Department of Education
- Community educator, Apicha Community Health Center, New York City
- Rape crisis advocate, Lorain, Ohio
- Teacher’s aide, Pennsylvania School for the Deaf
- Lab manager at Ohio State University, University of California Santa Cruz, Carnegie Mellon University, University of California San Diego, and Stanford University
- Research technician, Oklahoma Tobacco Research Center
- Medical researcher, UC San Diego Health
- MAT in elementary education, Brown University
- MA in speech and language pathology, University of Arizona
- PhD in psychology and brain sciences, University of Massachusetts-Amherst
- PhD in human factors psychology, Clemson University
- PhD in human development and family studies, Pennsylvania State University
- AM at Harvard University
- PhD in clinical psychology, St. John’s University
- JD, Duquesne School of Law
- PhD in cognitive psychology, University of Minnesota
- PhD in social psychology, University of California, Santa Barbara
- MA in statistics, Fordham University
- MSW, Adelphi University