Engaged East Asian Studies takes what you’re learning in your courses and puts it into practice through internships, research, study away, winter term, career exploration, and beyond.
Here’s a sampling of recent projects, field experiences, and post-graduate destinations for East Asian studies majors.
Ways East Asian Studies Majors Rise
- The Endangerment Turn: Tracking the Transition of Vegetarian Discourse in Contemporary China
- The Evolution of Korean Sex Work in Japan
- Historical Memory of the Flying Tigers: Transnational Narratives of a World War II Collaboration (Chinese)
- Rainbows and the Rising Sun: Queer Rights in Japan
- The Chinese Student Commencement Speech Controversy: A Discourse Analysis of Responding Microblogs
- VICE Media, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
- Japan Airlines, Tokyo
- White House Asia Economic Council, Washington, DC
- Reischauer Center for East Asian Studies, Johns-Hopkins University, Md.
- Intern, Kellogg School of Management, Ill.
- Summer law clerk, Public Defender’s Office, San Francisco
- C.V. Starr-Middlebury Schools in Kunming and Hangzhou, China
- Associated Kyoto Program at Doshisha University, Kyoto, Japan
- Sogang University and Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
- Associated Colleges in China, Beijing, China
- National Taiwan University and National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei, Taiwan (Chinese)
- Japan Study, Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan
- CET Academic Programs in Beijing, Shanghai, Harbin, Kunming, and Taibei
- The Paul and Edith Cooper International Learning Center, a state-of-the-art computer lab specializing in foreign languages, offers high-tech tools to gain proficiency.
- The Luce Initiative on Asian Studies and Environmental Studies offer in-Asia and on-campus programs.
- Shansi in-Asia Grants (China, Japan, Indonesia, and India)
- Teaching Ex-Cos in Korean language and Chinese folklore and music
- Aikido Ex-Co and Club
First Destinations of Recent East Asian Studies Majors
- Graduate Schools:
- MA in comparative education at University College London
- MA in environmental change and management at University of Oxford
- JD at University of San Francisco
- PhD in psychology at University of Michigan
- MA in policy organization and leadership at Stanford
- MA in global affairs at Yale
- MA in international politics at Peking University
- MA in interaction design at Carnegie Mellon
- Certificate in weather forecasting at Penn State
- PhD in comparative literature at Duke
- MA in Japanese literature at Columbia
- MA in Japanese history at Stanford
- Oberlin Shansi fellow
- Climate organizing fellow at NexGen Climate
- Research assistant at Bay Aquarium Research Institute
- Assistant language teacher at Japan Exchange Teaching
- AmeriCorps Chicago
- Fox News
- Reuters World News
- Fellow at United Nations Institute for Training and Research, Hiroshima
- Community outreach manager at the Fresh Air Fund
- Chef and culinary educator in N.C., The Telegraph, UK news outlet